Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are there any foods which inhibit breastmilk production?

HappyV is offline Registered User

Are there any foods which inhibit breastmilk production?

I know that there are foods/teas/supplements which are meant to stimulate milk production, but are there any foods which inhibit it? (I dont mean foods like cabbage or chocoloate which make baby windy: I mean food that may actually decrease supply over time....)

I am trying to get my supply up - suffering from jet lag, sleep deprivation and stress. I am drinking Mother Milk tea, eating oatmeal. Fen tablets would be next - does anyone know where to find them in HK?

Thanks for any information or suggestions.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

I think that rest and de-stressing will do far much more good for you than a specific food--especially since you are already doing the basic things that most people suggest for milk supply increase--an overstressed body isn't going to do what you want it to even if you feed it something special unfortunately. Get some sleep! And best of luck!

slamdunk is offline Registered User

HK Chinese (or Chinese in general?) believe that black bean (as in preserved soy bean) depletes milk supply. I know some who go as far as avoid all soy products when bf. May be just old wives tale. I avoided black beans but ate lots of beancurd/soy stuff when b/f which didn't affect supply negatively.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

You can get the Fenergreek tablets at Annerly in Central and I've also seen them at Organic Sense Health food store on Lyndhurst Terrace.

Ai li is offline Registered User

my OB told me to avoid pork liver, pigeon, dry black bean for the use of chinese medicine ( I do not know what it is), until i stop breastfeeding.

We been reminded on the daily basis not to take above-mentioned food during my stay in the hospital. Since then, i havent been taken the mentioned food since my girl was borned.

She is 11 months and i am still breastfeeding. so far, no issue on lack of supply.

oh yes,my Ob did advised me to drink more fluid too.

Hope this helps.

solidstars is offline Registered User

slamdunk - really!?!??! i heard the opposite! soy milk (black in particular) INcREASES milk production!

i heard organs (internal organs if you like that sort of foodstuff) depletes milk.

papaya fish soup increases

i agree with thanka2 - get lots of rest!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

And try expressing after each feed (even if there is little left). That is supposed to help increase supply.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Cabbage, beside getting baby windy, is to avoid. It was a remedy used in the past to decrease/stop the milk supply, by putting a cabbage leaf directly on the breast !
    I've heard also about parsley, sage...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast