Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Matilda deposit have the rules changed?

geomum is offline Registered User

Matilda deposit have the rules changed?

My doctor's nurse called me jus now to say that my booking at Matilda was confirmed but I need to pay 20,000$ deposit within a month or they will cancel the booking. She said they changed the rules from Sept.
    And the only reason they would refund is that I deliver early due to medical reasons. Even if we move out of Hong Kong they would not refund the deposit. This seems to be daylight robbery to me.
    Would appreciate some replies from those who have a booking there for the coming months or if someone has been able to get deposit back and for what reason?
    Many thanks!!!

zac08 is offline Registered User
    yup, that's the way it is now. i'm booked there for my nov/dec baby (second time around we'll be doin it at the matilda) and were told the same thing. in fact count yourself lucky that you even have a confirmed booking - loads of people we know were unable to get in. the Adventist incidentally has a similar policy now as well - they also require a 20k deposit etc etc.

btw, even if you deliver early for med reasons, they will only give you a refund of 18K, not the full 20K. daylight robbery, i agree, but this is just how in demand they are now.

dtb
    dtb is offline Registered User
    It's all because people make multiple booking at the same time and the hospital is trying to make sure their space are not going to be wasted by some multiple booking person. With so much demand for delivery service, every available bed is $$$.

Yup I understand why they need a deposit and have no issues paying it. But what bothers me is that I won't get it back even if the reason for not delivering there is beyond my control. Anyways........

cesh is offline Registered User
    Not necessarily. When I had to pay the deposit back in March (for an Oct delivery) I was of course, like many people, worried taht my husband may be made redundant and we could have to head home. So I rang the Matilda hospital direct and asked "what if we have to leave Hong Kong before the baby is due?" The answer I got was that "...there is currently no official procedure as this issue hasn't occurred yet. We will look at it on a case by case basis". Now that was in March so things may have changed, although nothing has been put in writing to say anything different.
    I would call the hospital directly and ask to speak to someone in admissions or management for the latest word. With greatest respect to the Obstetrician's nurses/staff, they don't always ask lots of admin questions of the hospitals nor seek out updated information form the hospitals - they generally just have information sent through from the hospital and interpret it themselves. Doing your own research is always the best way.

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    Geomum are you pregnant with number 2 as well? Congrats!!!!
    Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

Thanks Nashua and many congratulations to you too :))