Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flying with a baby - my little experience

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Flying with a baby - my little experience

Just thought I would share, perhaps to prepare anyone flying soon with their babies.
    I just flew back into HK last night with my 6.5 month old. He screamed for the entire descent (about 30 minutes). He was too hysterical to latch on for more than a second and my milk didn`t come in yet, and then was too hysterical to suck his thumb and there was nothing left to suck but anyway, he was too hysterical. I didn`t care too much about the other passengers but I was really stressed out bc my baby was obviously in pain and it was hard to see and impossible to comfort.
    So for any near flyers, I would suggest to maybe plan how your baby can suck something before they get too hysterical, like my baby. Poor thing.
    We`re flying again next month and I`m already dreading it.

stacy is offline Registered User

Another suggestion is to give your baby some tylenol about an hour before the plane begins to descend as that will also soothe him - especially if he doesn't want to drink/suck.

Pea Soup is offline Registered User

I just flew back on a 14 hour flight ALONE with my 13 month old. It was her fourth time on a flight and she behaved the best this time. The first time was when she was 10 month old. She was crying on ascend and descend. Pity those people sitting next to us. But I think it was mainly because she was tired because the flights times were at night. I would advise giving the bottle or something for the baby to suck when they prepare for take off. That's when the pilot gives the announcement to his crew. I usually give her the bottle at that time. Of course, that means you'll have to adjust your little one's feeding time so that he/she will be hungry enough to take the bottle for the entire ascend/descend. It works for me every time.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Yeah, when I flew to Canada and back with him a couple of months ago, I did just that -adjusted his feeding times. But now that he`s older, unless I let down the second he touches my nipple, he pulls off right away and also doesn`t like to do it in public. And he doesn`t take a bottle or pacifier - just me or his thumb.
    I think next time I will do the Tylenol trick and see how it goes.

Smiles is offline Registered User

My mum suggested gently stroking under the jaw line by the ear (I think it's supposed to stimulate swallowing) during take off and landing. We recently did a short flight and this seemed to work (my 9 month old doesn't like dummies and wasn't interested in milk on take off).

Sleuth is offline Registered User

I don't see how tylenol will fix a temporary pressure build-up in the ear canal.
    You need to force a swallow, so maybe Smiles soloution is better.
    The problem we always seem to run into is a long, delayed taxi to takeoff. The bottle empties too early, or the forever circling landing. Same problem.

stacy is offline Registered User

Tylenol has always worked for me as it relaxes the child and puts them in a restful state and also can ease the discomfort. I have always used it when necessary and it has always worked. Forcing a swallow or smile on such a little one isn't always possible nor can it be done for such a lengthy time throughout the descent.

Portia is offline Registered User

When my LO had an ear infection just prior to flying back to HK, our GP in Canada also told us to give him Tylenol an hour before landing to ease the discomfort during landing. It might block the pain receptors or at least dull the feeling of pain a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast