Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How do you put your baby to sleep?

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    Also, I think that since you don't bf her before she naps during the day, that she isn't dependent on that to fall asleep. So maybe the transition will be easier because of that.

katelynBB is offline Registered User
    I really hope so... thanks!
    ~Theresa~

RSK
    RSK is offline Registered User
    My 18month old has got used to sleeping on bf, and i realise its getting difficult day by day to change this habbit.

How to stop this for this big baby?

geomum is offline Registered User
    We sleep trained our 16 month old daughter 2 months ago. Before this we used to rock her to sleep (She weighs 13 kgs and it was becoming physically painful for us) and she used to wake up for breastfeeding. It took us 2- 3 days but since she started sleeping on her own she stopped waking up for night feeds also. So it was easier to wean her too which I did last month.
    I co sleep with my daughter so instead of rocking her to sleep I lay down next to her, she got up started playing around in the bed for a while then started whining and crying and after 30- 40 mins she went to sleep. I did this for 2- 3 days and each time her crying became less and less. Now she doesn't cry at all just tosses and turns for 10- 20 mins and falls to sleep.
    RSK the answer to your question is simple (And perhaps you know it yourself too) just stop breast feeding her to sleep. There is no other way, she will show her displeasure by crying for the first few times, but eventually she will get the message. It is important for children to learn to sleep on their own without external aids like rocking or bfing.
    A few other things to make sure are that your child is very tired and has a full tummy before you sleep train her. Offer her water since the crying will make her throat dry and also in the night. Be consistent and dont give up.

Wanted to add that I did not ignore her when she was crying. I sang to her, pat her back, stroked her hair and everytime she sat up I lay her down again and hugged her. I made sure she knew I wasn't abandoning her by not holding her close to me and rocking her.

RSK
    RSK is offline Registered User
    Yes i realise this that i have to be insistent with her. But we are renovating our house these days and as i am busy with the contractors and other guys over the phone, i think she feels insecured and she wants to bf all the time during the day as well to get my attention. My husband has to travel a lot so i am the only one left to deal with all these issues. So was just wondering if i can find a way in which she does not feel insecured because of me being busy most of the time.

RSK there are many ways in which you can make your daughter feel secure and loved besides breastfeeding. The time you spend breastfeeding her can be spent playing with her. Get her involved in little things you are doing, appreciate whatever she does and shower lots of physical affection on her.
    If you are feeding on demand then start reducing it to 3 timely feeds per day for 1st month, 2 for the 2nd month and 1 for the 3rd month until you both are comfortable to completely wean. It will take few weeks/ months to wean her not days for her to feel least upset. Try to stop feeding her to sleep.

putput is offline Registered User
    As you feel that your child is feeling insecure at the moment, I am not sure that weaning, unless it's really bothering you and you are starting to feel resentful for example, at this time is ideal. In an ideal situation, you would wean when there are no other major changes going on in her life, otherwise it all becomes too unsettling. Of course, we don't live in an ideal world so if you feel that now is the time to wean then of course, you have to do what is best for you as well as for your child. I agree with the slow method of weaning. It took me two months in total to wean my daughter. It was at a pace that my daughter and I were completely comfortable with so she remained completely secure throughout the process.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast