Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How do you put your baby to sleep?

katelynBB is offline Registered User

How do you put your baby to sleep?

Wondering how others put their baby's to sleep.
    With my eleven month old, ever since she was born, I would start the bedtime routine with a bath, then breastfeed her and she'd be asleep by then.
    Now that she's almost a year old, I am starting to wean her off of breastmilk and am not sure what to do with the bedtime feed or how to put her to sleep, my goal is for her to have milk from a sippy cup, then slowly nod off on her own when placed in her crib. hmmmm... does it sound too perfect to be true since I've already spoiled her with the breastfeeding to sleep.... =)

How do most babies go to sleep???

Thanks!

~Theresa~

lesliefu is offline Registered User

i do mostly the same thing, but as my baby is also 11 mths, I have added in a story time with her after the bottle (since they say when they have teeth, they should not sleep immediately after they drink milk as there is a lot of sugar and it is bad for the teeth)...right now, she knows after the story and a good night **** she gets put down into bed (no matter she is tired or not) and that it is bed time for everyone.....

megan2008 is offline Registered User

My baby is 11 months old and since she was three months old we would:

• read several books
    • give a bath
    • lotion/massage
    • bottle
    • bed

She used to fall asleep when she drank her bottle but stopped doing that several months ago. Now she will play in her crib anywhere from 5-45 minutes before falling asleep. I don't mind that she is happy and playing in the crib though. I much rather that, then crying. Also, she has this blanket that I semi-swaddle her in for bed and everytime I bring it out now, she will go to it and lay down on it. I think she has now associated that blanket with sleep Hope that helps.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Since he was a week old, I have had the following routine: bath, breast, song, sleep. He usually falls asleep, or nearly, at the breast, and so the song is fairly short. I have tried to put a book in there, but when his bath is finished, he`s practically gagging for my breast, and then he`s too sleepy for the book. I have tried feeding him before the bath, with mixed reviews from him.
    For naps, I do things differently - I sit down with him in his room and we look at a book for a while and I talk softly to him, then I hold him for a minute or 2, then I sit him in his crib (mind you I have just weaned him from his hammock so the crib is still new for him) to play with a few of his `sleepy` toys, then lay him down. I also stay there for a few minutes and if need be, keep my hand on his back for a while (he goes on his side). So, sometimes I do this for nights too, depending on how sleepy he is after the breastfeed.
    How about BFing shorter and shorter each night, while offering her sippy cup afterwards? Or putting another activity, such as a book or a song, into the mix?

katelynBB is offline Registered User

Thanks for sharing!
    Naptimes are easy, I had always fed her after naps, so she doesn't really need the soothing of the breast to fall asleep.
    Its the night time feeding that I worry about.
    I will try mixing in a book and/or song...I just don't know if she will be awake by then.
    Just like Shenzhennifer, once I give her a bath, she goes right to the boob and knows right away its bedtime.

I might have to get hubby to do the bedtime routine when I start weaning her from me. (I'm really going to miss breastfeeding)

~Theresa~

lilypotter2009 is offline Registered User

Establish a bedtime routine and stick to it. Give your baby a bath, have a last nursing session or bottle, read a story, say a personal, meaningful goodnight to each of your baby's 47 stuffed animals 'whatever. It doesn't really matter what your ritual is, as long as it's soothing, not stimulating, and you're consistent.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Theresa - may I ask the reason you are weaning your baby off your breast? Just curious since you said you are going to miss it.

mama-to-be is offline Registered User

I breastfed my baby till she was 14 months and when I did bf I would do so till she fell asleep. So like you I was worried that after weaning her she wouldn't sleep that easily. But to my surprise she had no problems. I would just bathe her and then put her to bed after a short cuddle and prayer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast