Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

when to see the doctor

wasabibunny is offline Registered User

when to see the doctor

I have a 18 month old son and just strated trying for 2nd baby. This cycle I already feel pregnant and have gotten extremely faint positive on the pregnancy test. Today or tomorrow should be a start of my period regularly. I don't want to be too optimistic since I know miscarriages in the few weeks after conception is quite likely. When should I go to the doctor to get a blood test and to see the obgyn?

Thanks!

geomum is offline Registered User
    Congratulations!!! Even a faint positive on the pregnancy test means you are pregnant. If we calculate from the date of last period you are about 4 weeks pregnant. I think around 7-8 weeks is a good time to visit the OBG/GYN, although I visited around 5 weeks. But for a simple HcG test to confirm pregnancy you can visit a GP next week maybe. Good luck :)

Thank you. My son was unplanned and I found that process to be much less stressful. Now that we are trying to "time" the new baby I don't want to be too optimistic! Will take your advice and wait another week and see GP :)

carang is offline Registered User
    i tested faintly positive about 5 days before my period was due. i KNEW i was pregnant again as i'd been sick from about the time i took the test. a faint positive is still a positive. it is extremely rare to have a false positive as you must reach a threshold of hormones for the test to be positive. the only way, unless on certain meds, is to actually be pregnant.

i never had any blood test to 'prove' either of my 2 pregnancies because the urine tests are taken as good a proof as you need to get a referal to QMH/Tsan Yuk.

why not be optimistic? no matter how far along you are, if you lose a baby, it is devastating. i would be dancing for joy if i were you.

good luck! and congratulations!

marie313 is offline Registered User
    i had a faint line, then i tested the next day and it was even fainter, then the next day i did another and it was negative. A couple of days after that i got my period.
    I looked it up on the internet (put 'faint line on pregnancy test' into google) and there were loads of people who had a faint line and went on to have healthy babies, but also some who, like me, didnt work out.
    Good luck x

carang is offline Registered User
    really? i'm very sorry to hear that. it probably means that you were pregnant and then it didn't take hold or something, which is very sad.

marie313 is offline Registered User
    its ok, it was so early that if i wasnt trying to get pregnant i probably wouldnt have even noticed!
    the month after i got a nice strong line though, so all is good!

I will do another test or two over the next week hopefully to confirm. With my son, I never thought I was pregnant because I did 2 tests a week or two after i missed my period and both came back neagative! I just thought I was too stressed out with work and my period was late (my periods are not perfectly regular).