Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

2009-2010 Homeschoolers?

momwboys is offline Registered User

2009-2010 Homeschoolers?

It looks as if my son, age 8, won't have a place at the beginning of the school year. He's on the waiting list at two schools, and I know a lot of things can change in the next few weeks, but we have to prepare ourselves that he may need to be homeschooled until a place opens.

I'd love to meet with other parents and elementary aged children who are homeschooling. Although I've never technically homeschooled my children (in lieu of a classroom teacher), I'm a US certified teacher and I've worked with a homeschool support group and taught several homeschooled students.

I would love to possibly organize a few co-op classes--science activities, book groups, math challenges, art, drama, etc. and may even have a classroom space available. Anyone interested in joining us?

Also, any advice re: legalities of homeschooling would be much appreciated. The threads on Geobaby seem a bit outdated.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    I was always under the impression that homeschooling was not allowed in Hong Kong. The Goverment says all children over a certain age must be in school.

I will be watching this thread closely as we may be in the same psoition next year. Although my DD is only in P1.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    I was under the same impression - there was a girl called "darling" who's father got arrested for homeschooling her because he disagrees with HK education system...anyhow, am looking forward to hearing how it CAN be done legally....I know this family that home schools 3 kids (8,10,12)....I wonder if it's legal?!?

momwboys is offline Registered User
    I'm still in the fact finding phase. Apparently there are some exceptions made for students who are not permanent residents and don't have a place in an English speaking school (if English is their only language). Problem is, I keep hearing second-hand of these instances and I love to meet a few people who are actually doing it! I'm sure there will be a few forms to complete...

spockey is offline Registered User
    As i recall, there is a clause to that rule which implies that foreigners are allowed to homeschool their children.

For example, the South Australian education system has an online homeschool programme that costs pittance (Less than $200 a year) for kids who are not able to access an Australian school from wherever they are. Obviously, the child has to be Australian. I know a parent who used this while in Hong Kong for her child's early years education (i.e. up to KS1).

carang is offline Registered User
    wonder what happens in our case?
    my hubby is local PR, i'm foreign PR... can i still choose to homeschool? i'm thinking it's kind of doubtful, but if you find out anything, please let us all know!

Bumps Guest
    This organisation may be able to help.....

The Hong Kong Homeschool Meetup Group (Hong Kong) - Meetup.com