Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Help, baby wont sleep in crib

chrissy2 is offline Registered User

Help, baby wont sleep in crib

Hello everyone, my 2 month old baby just started now for 2 weeks he wont sleep in his crib at night. we try and try and try to get him to sleep in there, we even get him to fall asleep on us then sneek him in, but it doesnt work. We have tried to just leave him be so he can settle himself down, and he will just cry and scream untill he cant breathe anymore until we come get him and put him on our chest to sleep or in our bed. We have also tried to just stand at the crib and talk to him to see if he will settle but it doesnt work...My hubby and I dont want him to sleep in our bed, we dont get any sleep and we just dont want him to think that our bed is his also. any suggestions on what we should do? Is any one else having the same problem as me? Is this normal for all babies, is it just a stage? PLEASE HELP! Im so desperate for sleep I will try anyhing!

Thanks!

Chrissy

Bumps Guest
    My son did this around the same age.... I made sure there was nothing wrong with him first - wet, hungry etc. Then I thought ok, it's gotta be the crib somehow. I decided to move the crib from where it was in his room, changed the mattress, sheets (to softer), changed the mobile to a black and white one (previous one was bright colours) - basically I just changed it all. I then made sure that just before he fell asleep on me I moved him to his crib so he would not get use to falling asleep on me. He began sleeping in crib no problems soon after. It could have been attributed to the changes I did or it may not have - but I had to do something!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Not sure if this will help but when we moved my son from his hammock to a cot he wasn't used to all the space. So we rolled up some blankets and put them down each side of him so he felt more secure. We also played soft music in his room and he sleeps on organic cotton sheets and has only a few soft toys which are for sleep time and stay in the cot.

At 6 weeks old we did the Baby Whisperer technique of pick up when started crying, put back down when settled. The first night we must of did this about a 100 times before he went to sleep but over a couple of nights it got fewer and fewer until he would go to sleep on his own. You just have to be consistent.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I recently just moved my 6 month old from hammock to cot. It wasn`t easy, particularly for the nights, and we eventually had to put him back into the hammock to get any sleep. Now he`s exclusively in his cot, though I still have to wake up many times at night because he`ll roll over to sleep on his tummy but if he wakes up a bit and realises he`s there, he`ll cry, because he can`t yet turn back over.
    Anyway, the biggest things I did was the make sure he went into the cot awake so he realised where he was and then didn`t wake up later confused. And also before I lay him down, I will sit him down and give him a few of his cot toys to play with for a minute, and then gently lie him down and sit near him for a few minutes. I know with a 2 month old that`s too difficult, but maybe you can play with her in her cot, to make her see that it`s not such a bad place to be. I read the Baby Whisperer also and when she was helping one baby sleep in his cot, she actually go into it with him for a while. But most cot rails don`t go down that far so it would be hard to do. Anyway, some playtime in the cot would be good for her to start liking it.
    And since she`s so small and probably afraid of the space, it might be worthwhile to have her cosied between blankets or swaddled or in a sleeping bag.

chrissy2 is offline Registered User
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions I will try them all!