Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pneumoccol vaccine and 1 sept 2009...

solidstars is offline Registered User

pneumoccol vaccine and 1 sept 2009...

Just wondering if anyone is planning on getting the below for their baby?

My 4 mth old son just had his vaccination today and they mentioned that next time we go in October we can also get the penumococcol vaccine too if I request it.

They DID mention that it just depends on whether the parents want it for their child or not (completely up to the parent). My question is, do we need it? Is it safe (my son is G6PD deficient though this might not have anything to do with anything)? It seems though that it is one of the recommended vaccines in canada so it might be good to get it anyways? Appreciate any thoughts/comments...

=====================

Starting 1 September 2009, Pneumococcal Vaccine will be introduced into the Childhood Immunisation Programme.

All Hong Kong residents born on or after 1 September 2007 can get FREE Pneumococcal vaccination from Maternal and Child Health Centres (MCHCs)

More here:
    Centre for Health Protection

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I read that the other day and wish I'd known about it before I got my 9 month old vaccinated, I could have gotten it for free instead of paying!! I got her vaccinated against pneumococcal because we're Australian and it's on the Australian vaccination schedule. I wanted her to have both the HK and Aus vaccinations. I think it's as safe as any other vaccine and in my opinion, it's safer to get it than to NOT get it and run the risk of getting the disease which generally has more severe consequences. It's my opinion that there are more kids who suffer from NOT having their vaccinations than those who DO and have complications. Either way, you're taking one risk or the other...

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for bringing that to our attention - I didn`t hear about that, and I was just at a MCHC a few weeks ago.
    It`s also included in the Canadian schedule, and I think it would be a good idea to get it for my baby. It seems the HK schedule is fairly bare-bones about what vaccinations they recommend, so if they`re including this one, it sounds worthwhile.

true... better not risk it then...

do you know roughly how much it is to do the extra vaccines not on the gov list? For example the japanese en and the HiB?

I didn`t do the Jpn Enc vaccine. I`ve had all his shots thus far at private clinics out of either necessity or convenience of having only one jab instead of multiple. The 5-in-1 which includes hib cost $500 at a private clinic, but I remember the private hospital being even more expensive - I think $565.

thanks shenzhennifer! 500 for a 5 in 1 isn't too expensive i think. i better go ask around in the private clinics.

which website do you use for the canadian schedule? i found the one below but wasn't sure how accurate it is...

Immunization Schedule In Canada

I used the Public Health Agency of Canada gov`t website but lately their link hasn`t worked so I didn`t include it here. Google the gov`t website, should be able to tell you, but I think it looked similar to the link in yours. I have just been following the HK one since we won`t be living in Canada at least for a while. For example, it seems the meningitis one is not so applicable here.
    At 6 months I got my son the 6-in-1 incl the HepB, also to save on the amount of jabs he got. It was $600.
    I also called the MCHC today and will be going soon to register for the latest vaccine. I`m really glad they`re offering that now.

hi shenzhennifer, i called our clinic and they're charging $990 for the 6 in 1!!! where did your son get his? At 990 I'm thinking I might as well just follow the HK one and then worry about the rest (canadian) later when we move, which shouldn't be anytime soon.

Also, do you know what's in the 6 in 1? All I know is HiB, HB, Polio, but can't name the other 3?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast