Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Parenting book recommendation (for first-time parents)

Workingmom1975 is offline Registered User

Parenting book recommendation (for first-time parents)

Hi experienced moms,

My husband and I are expecting our first baby soon and wonder what are good parenting books that provide clear guidelines/instructions for first-time parents (e.g., what to expect/do every week/month). Any recommendation would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

dtb
    dtb is offline Registered User
    I read Gina Ford's Contented little baby and it is quite good.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    What to Expect the First Year is good, I like it. I read some of a friend`s week by week guide and I found it was almost too detailed, especially as a developmental guide for your individual baby. I also read and really like Babysense: a guide to your baby`s sensory world. And I also wish I read the Baby Whisperer when I was still pregnant.

nino is offline Registered User
    I read the "Baby Whisperer" while still pregnant - it gave me a good idea of what to expect once the baby arrived as I had absolutely no idea. I didn't end up following the schedule as it didn't really work out, but it was nice to know approximate timings. I have "What to Expect the First Year" I use it more as a reference than a guide as I think it adds some stress when you think the baby should be reaching various milestones. I also reference "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding", which is really good for breastfeeding advice. I've glanced through and/or read many other books that I decided weren't right for me and I tried to read about as many different parenting ideas before the baby arrived to understand what my options were. I really didn't find one book that gave me all the information I was looking for.

chrissy2 is offline Registered User
    There is a book called Dr.Spocka baby and child care....(i just had my first baby 2 months ago) it is our BIBLE! I have used it so many times already....Its a big book full of everything you need, it will answer all questions you have and questions that will come up the first few weeks you come home from hospital...you just look in the index for what your looking for! I got it at Metro at elements mall!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Baby Love by Robin Barker has been my bible. As a clueless first time mother I find this book to be a great reference and guide for all my silly worries. I also read Baby Whisperer and Gina Ford, I loosely followed the routines in Baby Whisperer and I threw away Gina Ford as it was way to strict.

Read a few books and take what you like from each one. I don't think one book can tell you everything as each baby is different.

musicalmama is offline Registered User
    HIGHLY recommending "Heading home with your newborn: From birth to reality". It is our bible until now (my baby is 6 months old) and can't do without it. Recommended by American Academy of Pediatrics. Easy to read and very accurate.
    Goodluck and congratulations!

Michelle
    Family, maternity, baby, children photographer
    Garthe Photo Arts, Lifestyle and Portrait Photography Hong Kong

Matty is offline Registered User
    Baby Love by Robin Barker is the bible.
    It's a great reference for just about everything you need to know in he first year.
    It's laid out in an easy way so you can find the info you need.

Eg: Weird rash, go to the index and she will list all the examples of what's normal and what's not, and what to do about it.
    Don't like the look of baby's poo?, again she describes all the variations of what is normal and not, with simple solutions.
    Baby not sleeping? She gives you some great ideas without making you feel like you are doing everything wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast