Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breastfeeding after c-section at QMH

Maddy is offline Registered User

Question Breastfeeding after c-section at QMH

Hi everyone,

I'm booked in for a c-section next week at QMH and I'm concerned that the baby will be away from me for a long period after the operation and that my baby will be given a bottle. I want to breastfeed my baby ASAP after the op.

Does anyone know if they routinely keep c-section babies in the NICU? Do you know if the baby is given straight back to mum once all stitching is done and she is in recovery?

The section is only 1 day before my due date, baby is expected to be healthy and the reason for the section is that she is breech. Any advice is much appreciated!

HappyNatali is offline Registered User
    I just read your post and hope you're well.

Just to share my personal experience. I had a C section at QMH. I actually had a emergency one 'coz my blood pressure shot up but my baby is totally well. And they didn't put her in NICU. So it mainly depends on your child's condition.

I had her breast fed while I was still in the recovery room outside the operations room. That was within 1 hr of the surgery. You have to indicate to the midwives that you really want to start early. My breastfeeding has been relatively smooth and I think the midwives there are to be complemented in this aspect.