Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Where to start?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Question: are bottles, sterilizers, teats nec to get before baby arrives? I intend to breastfeed but have heard it good to have this one hand.

I wouldn`t buy too many bottles because you don`t know which your baby will like/reject. But I second the Breastflow bottle - very nice, especially since you`ll be breastfeeding. I had a hard time BFing so I didn`t use any bottle at all until 5-6 weeks, but by then it was too late anyway and he rejected all bottled:(
    I would get a sterilizer ahead of time though. I didn`t and that 2 weeks of boiling my breastpump every day got old fast.they have ones that are bottle warmers and also that heat up your food. I have a Pigeon one that I got on sale.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi Shenzhennifer - good luck with the sleeping thing - can be a nightmare!

On sterilizers - we bought the big electric Tommy Tippee one but actually I liked the microwave one which came free with our manual breastpump more! Quicker and portable.

On bottles - definately get a couple just in case (worst case) breastfeeding does not work. Also get some forumla just in case for the same reasons. Everyone has a different view but I liked the idea of giving expressed milk in a bottle earlier rather than later to get the baby used to a bottle. We did this early on for the night feed and my husband could then give the feed while I went to bed and prepared for the 3am feed (!!!). We bought a heap of Tommy Tippee closer to nature bottles which we loved but then a few months later the plastic drama came out in the press (BPA drama) so we ended up changing to glass NUK bottles and some BPA free medela ones for freezing expressed milk. Just make sure that if you buy plastic bottles that they are BPA free or have the correct number on the bottom (if you google it there is a list of "safe" numbers for plastics).

The lists are helpful (although the Bumps to Babes one is just scarily long) but you certainly don't need it all at once. Grobag for example - we didn't use that until baby was 6 months old. Up to then, we swaddled.

SB2

staargrl is offline Registered User
    hi starbucks2~
    just curious- the tommy tippee bottles, i thought they were already bpa free? or is there additional/more recent news about these w/plastic drama? we were planning on using them too...

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    i just feel I have to report my progress so far as everyone has been so helpful.

I went to Apita this sunday- first time hubby and I have been there and first of all, it was really silly of us to go on a sunday afternoon. It was packed!! poor guy was rather miserable. we spent 3 hrs there and at least we bought 1 item and are considering another 2-3

took advice and applied for an Apita card.

Thanks everyone and will keep all posted.

If I have any advice for anyone next time, is go prepared. Seeing so many types of dampers or milk bottles brands for eg can be overwhelming and you'll never make a decision. We at least knew what we were looking for when it came down to a stroller and bed and hence these 2 were the easiest for us.

Hi staargrl

I believe that the new Tommy Tippee bottles are fine now. We bought ours in 2007 (sounds so long ago now!) and then in early to mid 2008, after our baby was born, the BPA scare came out. If you bought the bottles pre-2008 then I'd check the numbers on the bottom of the bottles to check they are safe. If you bought after mid-2008 then they should be fine. I googled Tommy Tippee and it says that their closer to nature bottles are now BPA free but depends on which batch you have. Ours were no good.

SB2

staargrl is offline Registered User
    thanks SB2- though still kinda scary if the BPA free "depends on which batch you have"...

also- can someone tell me where eugene's is? thanks in advance!! :)

Eugene is next to H&M on Queens Road, Central. A really small store on the roadfront but you take an elevator up to the 4th floor and it is a huge store.

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    typo. sorry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123