Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

My baby wont take breastmilk from bottle

daffer is offline Registered User

My baby wont take breastmilk from bottle

I am a working mum, and my baby has just reached 3 months. I am so determined to breastfeed my (second) baby up to at least he is 6 months old. I normally expressed milk at work and directly feed him in the morning and in the evening/ at nite, he enjoys the direct breastfeeding very much. At day time, I take few bags of breastmilk to nanny and let her feed it to my baby, I have been told that my baby would get so fustrated and wiggles about when she tried to feed him the breastmilk with bottles, however, if she feeds him the formula, he seems quite happy. I also tried this myself at home and I get the same result. I wonder why!??! Would it be something to do with the nipple/ the flow of the milk? or is he being picky? And he thinks breastmilk should only be fed from mummy's tits and only formula milk should be fed by bottles???? I now have bagsand bags of breastmilk in the freezer and my husband has threatened to throw them away as they are taking up too much room. I will get really upset if this happended, please help! daffer x

Manda is offline Registered User

daffer, i also fed my baby frozen milk after i went back to work (i continued to pump up to month 6). i don't know if you find this gross, but have you tried tasting the frozen milk? i found that my frozen milk tasted different from the fresh milk. my baby also liked the fresh more than frozen!

ahhhh.....it could be the taste!!!!

okay, lets see if i feed him the milk that i have only just pumped out 2nite, lets see if he will like it more ; ) thanks for the suggestion manda

bart is offline Registered User

maybe the baby just need a bit of getting used to? I am a working mom and pumping to feed my 4 month old baby too. She used to cry and feed and choke for 45 minutes when given the bottle in the beginning, the situation lasted for about a week.. after that she just got used to it. Now she is taking both breast and bottle quite well, sometimes I feel that she prefers to be fed from the bottle even since the flow is faster and she gets satisfied faster. After a month of pumping, I do feel my supplies diminishing and my frozen reserves running low! soon i will need to supplement with formula.. so sad :(

LeahH is offline Registered User

I pumped with my first and the baby definitely had a preference for fresh over frozen. I found that if I defrosted it in the fridge overnight, then warmed it in hot water before 'serving' it was accepted more readily than warming from frozen. I just persisted and didn't offer an alternative! Even if he totally refuses it, don't throw it out - use it for mixing with solids when he's 6 months - I ended up using a lot of my frozen supply that way.

Is it okay to mix breastmilk with formula? one of the nannies suggested, but i wouldnt think it will taste that good...; (

I will keep trying to see if he will get used to it eventually thanks everyone for the advise, please feel free to tell me more about your experiences and suggestions, cheers

daffer

solidstars is offline Registered User

try a different bottle? position? mine had to be 'tricked' at the beginning and we had to walk around and feed him at the same time otherwise he notices and refuses to drink.

i know what you mean, my husband 'threw' away 3 oz by accident and i almost threw a fit (this was back when my supplies were low)

Manda is offline Registered User

i did mix breast milk with formula only because my baby would balk at 100% formula. i think he was not used to the taste and i couldn't bear starving him. hope your little one is doing better at the bottle!