Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is Baby Signing Useful?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    And will it stop my son was emitting high-pitched shrieks when he wants to say something?
    I don't think anything stops those high-pitched shrieks but maybe signing will interpret them for you.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    I really didn't mean for my post to be negative as it's great to hear all of these wonderful experiences with it, but for me just personally, I feel like we encourage my son to speak, babble and try his best in getting out sounds/words so much that signing might be confuse the message that we are trying to send to him.

Again, this is just me personally.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point

Here's a great site with videos of different signs. You can click on the "asl for babies" up the top to give you more "baby" words.

One thing that is important when signing is to always SAY the word as you sign. Signing isn't a substitute for talking, but something to assist. And apparently (I haven't looked into it myself), when used like this, signing actually helps kids to speak earlier. It's just like how we all naturally wave "bye bye" or nod "yes" and shake "no" - and babies learn both the signs for those things, as well as the words. Those words are still some of the first that a baby will say - they aren't hindered because we naturally do "signs" with them.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    I`ll have a look at that website and see what might be useful for us.
    I agree that as long as you`re saying the word at the same time as signing it, there shouldn`t be any reason why their speech would be stunted.
    The only thing for me to consider, and this follows along with what Thanka2 was saying, since I would have to be really consistent about it, it sounds like a bit of a busy venture. But only if you`re going the full monty, which I wouldn`t. Like, it`s great if your kid can sign `giraffe`, but is it really necessary? I guess I`m just looking for basic communication, like feelings and actions, less objects.
    I`ll see what I`ll have to get myself into:)

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    my son signed a few, not much and drop all signs when he started to learn words and talk at 18 months (late boomer) but now at 2.5, he speaks non-stop! no, i will not go all the way to teach signing.

monte is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    The book I have is "The baby signing book" by Sara Bingham, but I look up signs online too. We definitely always say the word along with the sign, and our son does too, about half the time. I certainly don't see it as a substitute for speaking.
    As for time, I initially had big plans to start signing early with our son, and bought our book when he was 3 months. However, we moved here when he was 5 months old, and I didn't even unpack the book because I just felt that learning how to parent, how to live in HK, and trying to learn some Canto was enough, there was no way I was going to try to learn anything else.
    I didn't even think about it again until he was 10 or 11 mo, and seemed to really want to communicate things to us. Since then, it really hasn't taken up extra time or brain power for us or felt like a burden at all. We only learn necessary words, and learn them as we need them, and then it doesn't take up anymore time than talking does. If we decide that we want to teach him "water", for instance, I look up the sign, then everytime I say the word water I sign it as well. I probably try to say it more often the first few days, pointing out the water when we wash our hands or take a bath or when we drink some, but really, that's all that's involved.
    All that being said, parents have been raising kids without sign for a long time now, so clearly it's not necessary. But I'd encourage anyone who was interested to try it and don't be afraid of it being another stress or taking up too much time.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Signing, as taught in the Baby Signs Program, is meant to facilitate communication during that period when the spoken words are not there (or are not very clear yet). Over 20 years of research has shown that signing in NO way impedes speech development, but actually helps babies learn to talk sooner.

When we first started signing with J, it was purely for fun. My husband, who initially was doing it only to humor me *rolls eyes*, actually got so into it that he was the one who encouraged me to get properly trained and to bring the Baby Signs Program to Hong Kong. For us, personally, the best part of signing was that it opened a window into our baby's world --i.e., through signs, he was able to share with us things that he was interested in, his thoughts, etc. --things that he otherwise might not have been able to communicate as easily without the signs to help him. The talking early (especially for a boy -- 2- to 3-word sentences at 14 months and very clear, complete sentences at 18 months), the extensive vocabulary... those were a bonus.

Signing with your baby is as easy and as natural as teaching him to wave bye-bye. It is NOT hard. Put simply, it's a matter of adding signs to the words whenever you speak with your baby.

I say this not because I teach baby sign language --but I really would urge that you give baby signing a go. You have nothing to lose and a host of wonderful benefits to gain. Especially so for those who plan to raise their children in a bilingual settings, the signs really come in handy and provide that "link" between the different languages.

I've signed with both my children and I will do it again if ever I have another one! :)

dianaquan is offline Registered User
    Kowloon, Wong Tai Sin

Talking My baby signs

My baby is 1 year old, she signs because she needs to communicate what she really wants, or not want! She loves this baby-led approach we have been trying to raise her up in. She asks, signs, for mama's milk :gmilkwhen she needs it, tells (signs and point to) us when she needs help to get something high up, tells us whether she had finished mealtime, tells us when she needs to use the toilet! When she sees an animal in photo or illustration, with a cute smile, she signs, and makes happy screams!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12