Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: Bebe Gloton Breastfeeding Doll - Would you consider buying one

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes of course! I don't see anything wrong with it.

1 5.88%
  • No, it just seems wrong.

12 70.59%
  • Undecided..

4 23.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bebe Gloton - Breastfeeding Doll for Young Girls

rani is offline Administrator

Bebe Gloton - Breastfeeding Doll for Young Girls

A Spanish toymaker's new breastfeeding doll is under attack by parents in the US. The doll comes with special halter top for girls to wear and pretend to breast-feed.

Read the full story here:

Controversial Doll Lets Little Girls Pretend to Breast-Feed - Children's Health - FOXNews.com

Share your thoughts on the controversial doll and vote if you would consider buying it.

Attached Images Attached Images

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Not that there`s anything wrong with it, but... It`s just WEIRD.
    And, um, WHY would a company need to market a special doll for this purpose? Can`t a little girl use any old doll? It sounds like just another gimmock product because they don`t know what else to create.
    Oh, and the halter top is pretty unneccesary and a bit lewd for young girls.
    Oh, and can my son use one too? With or without the halter?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Oh, and the article is a bit ridiculous too. It will promote teenage pregnancies? Gimme a break.

Oh, and does the baby choke when she feeds when the little girl`s letdown is too strong and sprays milk in the baby`s face?
    Or does the baby cry angrily when your letdown is too slow?

Bumps Guest

How bizarre. I mean I can understand that little girls want to be like their mommies and want dolls that cry, poop, sleep and talk etc. But if a child wanted to pretend to 'breast feed' their doll why would they need a top with flowers on it as nipples? Weird. Some girls may have a new brother or sister in the house that mom is feeding and may feel the need to imitate - but mmmm this doll seems peervy.

geomum is offline Registered User

There are many young girls who want to be mommies, this toy is perfect to nurture their dream. BUT... many of these girls end up getting pregnant as teenagers and have no idea what a big responsibility being a parent is. They think they are ready as they will ever be for being a parent. Most are single mothers, either in college or dropped out of school who do not have the financial resources or the mental aptitude to take care of a child. They either end up abandoning their child or the state takes custody when they are unable to take care of them on their own or in few cases its the family who pitches in.
    Telling a child its fun being a mum is wrong because its challenging as it is rewarding. And there is a right time for it when you are able to provide the best care possible to that child. Breastfeeding in particular is not a game as this toy is trying to portray. Mums breastfeed babies not little girls.
    It should be recalled ASAP.

Last edited by geomum; 08-12-2009 at 04:17 PM.

LeahH is offline Registered User

Typically ridiculous quotes from the 'public' and hysteric coverage from Fox.

Children feed babies from toy milk bottles without it encouraging teen pregnancy.. thats really reaching. This, although taking realism a little too far for me, is gimmicky as opposed to harmful.
    nmm
    Its just another product on the market that parent can choose to buy for their children or not.

I won't be rushing out to get one for my son and daughter but can't see how this warrants a recall. Governing bodies monitoring the toy market are better off looking at health and safety and products that are truly damaging.

Nashua852 is offline Registered User

I agree 100% with LeahH

The correlation between this doll and a rise in teen pregnancies is ridiculous. There have been media reports of teen mum pacts to get pregnant by x age etc for years especially in the US and UK, but hey - how many other places in the world throw money/benefits/housing at you because you're about to become a mum? This doll has got nothing to do with the choice to keep a baby - or the various legislative systems that facilitate the choice. The US and UK government provide excellent support services for both women who choose to proceed with their pregnancies, and for women who don't which I personally think, great -- but in recent years has gone a bit too far.

Back on topic ; calling for a recall is equally ridiculous -- I personally would not buy this for my child as I think it's downright weird, but I would not buy it for the same reason as choosing not to buy him a toy gun.

There's nothing to stop a child from 'copying mummy' by 'breastfeeding' their dolls -- but introducing a product to the market specifically is simply both bizzare and misguided.

..what will they think of next?!

Oh and on a silly note, the name of the doll made me giggle as I read it as 'baby glutton' and as I could not see the complete title of the thread before clicking it I assumed it was something breastfeeding related (pill for let down issues? new pillow?) =P

Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

jane01 is offline Registered User

I didn't need to buy a special doll. When I had my second daughter, my first used to copy mummy by breastfeeding her doll. I remember her going to the park with Grandma and Grandma having to hold up her shirt so she could feed her baby. Very cute.

There is no more of a link between b/f a doll and teen pregnancy and bottle feeding a doll and teen pregnancy IMO.

I think that normalising breastfeeding is an excellent education for everyone, not just little girls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast