Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving with Frozen Breastmilk?

hannah.e.law is offline Registered User

Moving with Frozen Breastmilk?

I'm moving back to the States next week and trying to figure out if there is any way to bring my freezer full of EBM. Since I'm moving alone, I'll already have a lot of luggage plus baby, so an extra checked box of breastmilk and dry ice might not be possible.

I worked really hard building up this supply over the last month thinking I was going back to work this week. Now that I've decided to move I don't just want to dump it as I will have to start all over and I might be starting work right away, so not able to BF every meal and pump extra to store.

Any suggestions from ladies who have done this? Specifically, I was wondering if anyone had successfully shipped frozen breastmilk or been allowed to carry on excess frozen milk, as those are the to options I'm looking at now. Also, my MIL will be traveling to the US around the same time, would they allow her to carry it on or check it? I'm really trying to explore all options that don't involve dumping it, so anything would be helpful!!!

Bumps Guest
    Sorry, I don't have any bright ideas to help you with your question but just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your move. Moving back home to be with your family and friends will be wonderful! And I am sure they are all excited to see your little one! Take care! Isobel.

solidstars is offline Registered User
    i'm not really sure either but i think you can call the airline and ask? i'm sure they've got experience from before they could probably suggest something?

curiouscat2 is offline Registered User
    I feel your pain! I just moved from the US to Hong Kong and had frozen milk in the freezer that we ended up just dumping... my lactation consultant in the US too had no ideas for how to bring it along.

Also, our flight got cancelled, we ended up spending an extra night in Detroit and an extra 6 hours in Tokyo airport, so I wonder how I could have kept the milk frozen for that long anyway...

The only thing I can think of is that you carry in your hand baggage enough frozen milk for your baby to drink on the plane, and you pump on the plane and freeze that, so that you have some frozen milk to start off with when you get to the US.

hannah.e.law is offline Registered User
    Any ideas on where to get the styrofoam cooler and dry ice here in Hong Kong?