Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dr Alexander Doo and Dr Patrick Chan

mumto2 is offline Registered User

Dr Alexander Doo and Dr Patrick Chan

Hi, I'm trying to decide which of these two doctors to see - I have read great things about both of them but there seems to be a HUGE difference in their fees.

Dr Doo is charging $950 per visit plus $1000 for any ultrasounds and Dr Chan charges $850 per visit which includes ultrasounds.

Has anyone seen these doctors who can tell me a little bit about the machines they use etc? Or even general feedback about either of the doctors would be great please.

Many thanks

Dink is offline Registered User

Hi - I saw Dr Patrick Chan throughout my pregnancy, in my opinion his equipment etc. was very good but I have nothing to compare it to (except the public hospital and it was superior to the machines they use there). You don't usually have a long wait in the surgery (which is the case with some other drs here). He is a nice guy. However, I delivered at the QMH so he wasn't actually there for the birth. I suspect that like many doctors here he may err more towards caution/convenience and therefore prefer C sections (as I went overdue C section was mentioned) - but you'd need to discuss that with him I think.

wenyihsu is offline Registered User

I currently see Dr. Patrick Chan and LOVE him. He's very patient and thorough. We never feel rushed through our appointments and his waiting time isn't bad. We love that he will carefully explain all our options giving us all the pros and cons so we can make a decision ourselves. He never makes us feel like he's pushing us in one direction or another. Also, he never makes us feel stupid for asking simple questions and will always carefully address all our concerns. He's also easily accessible - even at 2 am in the morning! I'm not sure the difference in the ultrasound machines (I use to see a different doctor in the same clinic as Dr. Doo) so can't really comment on that but I know it gets the job done. Good luck!

Thank you both so much already! I have found out that Dr Chan has the same ultrasound machine that Dr Doo has so that's something off my concern list. You know when you just wonder why a particular doctor is just so much cheaper than another?

Thank you for your input!

Erib32 is offline Registered User

Dr.Doo

I saw Dr. Doo, but only once as I was referred to him by my OB/GYN for a second opinion regarding some issues with my pregnancy. I have never seen Dr. Chan, so again, nothing to compare to but Dr. Doo was very professional and very thorough. He did external, internal ultrasounds and a few other tests before giving his opinion. He is not a "warm and fuzzy" kind of guy but that is not for me anyway. I just wanted expertise and professionalism and that is what I got. The ultaasound machine was great as they put the picture up on like a big movie screen, which didnt happen at my original OB/GYN.

Anyway, just to give you an opinion on the other side. Not sure why the costs are different.. Maybe Dr. Doo has an expertise or background that Dr. Chan doesn't? Anyway, hope that helps!

papa2b is offline Registered User

Dr. Doo was my wife's obgyn and we both found him very excellent, methodical and reassuring. HE explains everything in detail and is open to having you call him at odd hours if you have a question/concern.

We paged him once at about 11:30pm and he rang back in about 2 mins!

Our experience with him was excellent. Yes he is expensive, but how do you put a price on peace of mind?

Yeah its not really the expense that bothers me but rather the difference - its all covered by our medical so makes no difference. Dr Chan is highly qualified and has been highly recommended as well. I guess it could be just practice costs at the end of the day too. Its great to such reassuring experiences though, I appreciate it.

mela is offline Registered User

Dr Doo delivered my little girl last month.I had very difficult pregnancy and I must say he was top motch.I must have alled him in the middle of the night at least 4 times - he always called back with prompt advice or came to the hospital to see me.We had every scan recorded onto dvd and all the scans were 3d.I really liked his manner and sense of humor -even in very difficult times.My friend was with dr.Chan and was very happy with him so I suppose it all comes down to personal preference and how complicated your pregnancy is. Good luck and I'm sure you will be pleased with either of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast