Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

school searching...

lesliefu is offline Registered User

school searching...

my daughter is turning one soon...is it true that I need to start searching and enrolling her in nursery? i know it's not really necessary and there's been much debate about the need to attend school from the age of 2...honestly i haven't decided for or against it yet...but just in case i decide that she should....i should be searching now...right?

carang is offline Registered User
    i think it depends on what school you want her to go to.

for our son's kindergarten, we only looked about 6 months before he started (at 3.5 years)...he loves it and is returning for K2 on Sept 1. this time he'll be full day! wow! time flies!

thanks...i don't know what I want...to be honest...it just seems so fast! at least it seems like i have time to find something....thanks alot!

i do know that there are some places that you need to apply for VERY early! when i lived in DB, they suggested almost immediately after birth to register for their waiting list! and even then, you weren't guaranteed of getting in!

i'd really think about what you want from a "school" and then look around and try to find a couple that fit your requirements (for me, i insisted on it having an outdoor area to play in, for example). then once you've narrowed your list down, start applying.

good luck!

reei is offline Registered User
    hi lesliefu,

like you my daughter is turning 1 soon and i am also considering about nursery. i spoke to someone who sent their son to nursery,, asked about what they actually learned and whether they think is good. feedback is that.. hmm.. to expose the kid ealier to germs.. so as to build up immune system, potty train, sing some songs, drawings, establish a time in sleeping, eating habits.. learn to be independent, and prepare for k1. seems in his case, his son cried for the first 6 months in nursey, so he dont have to waste time crying when he attend k1 and that will save time and able to catch up in k1.
    that's just one opinion i got so far, will share if i get more.
    how about you? did u speak to anyone that send their kids to nursery?
    i just shortlisted a few in my areas and will have a look soon... but still considering.

personally, i think that a child learns as much going to playgroups and the playground as attending nursery.

i've spoken to some people but those people have more than one child so they send their older one to "school" so that they can have more time with the younger sibling....it's less about what they actually learn really....honestly, as a teacher myself, I don't think I NEED nursery / playgroups but for me, since I'd be working, it just seems like going to
    "school" is better than spending all the time with my nanny (though she's wonderful!)....I don't know...maybe I'm scared my daughter will get too close to her?!? anyhow, am considering Woodlands, just purely for its convenience and nothing else...will be visiting the school to get a feel for the school tomorrow....will keep you posted...

spockey is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    "school" is better than spending all the time with my nanny (though she's wonderful!)....I don't know...maybe I'm scared my daughter will get too close to her?!?
    Totally agree with your honesty. I think we (working parents) decide on early schooling for similar reasons. Good Luck with your selection!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast