Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help! Second time pregnancy back agony :(

Nashua852 is offline Registered User

Angry Help! Second time pregnancy back agony :(

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to get a recommendation for a doctor, or miracle worker or the like ;) I am unsure whether I should be going to a chiropractor or a physio or even my GP about this.

Basically, I've always been terrible for my calcium intake and years of abusing my back with sports such as rugby and kickboxing probably did not help either - but suddenly it's all been unleashed on me now as I am expecting baby number 2. I am sick of the clinic telling me that its all down to posture - with my first pregnancy yoga and improving my posture did help. With this one, any form of exercise brings on horrid pains and I have to sit down.

It took a turn for the worse this week and prompted me to write here. We have just moved to a house in the NTs and climbing up and down the stairs have been no problem until recently where my knees will buckle at times going downstairs (thankfully never when I've had my toddler with me) and last night my husband had to carry me to bed as I had a sudden....back attack (?) where my pelvis first went numb and then started sending horrible pain up and down my lower back and hips. It was absolute agony. This is not sciatica, as I have that too and know what that feels like :(. I have not slept for the past three nights as everytime I turn in my sleep - or try to - I am woken up by how hard it is to turn. Its worse on my left side than my right but I have to keep alternating. If I end up on my back my pelvis goes numb and I am woken up by it.

As the night progresses - I am barely able to walk on my own anymore. I work from home and dont have a helper (this will change soon I hope!) so I take care of my son all day, work whilst he naps or is otherwise engaged and simply cannot NOT carry him at times. Thankfully this deterioration (its all I can think to call it, its not as bad during the day) happens after my boy is in bed and has gotten to the point where my wonderful husband has to help me move my feet off the floor and onto our bed.

I need medical help. I've been stubborn enough as is and Im ready to see someone about this- I am frankly shocked by how much worse my pregnancy experience has been the second time round.

What Im thankful for - to lift a little the moany vibe of this thread - Im SO looking forward to the arrival of my little girl, I feel beyond blessed to be in the position I am in, sure financially it will be a squeeze but that was the case anyway with number 1 being so..sudden ;), I am looking forward to breastfeeding again, to tiny pink outfits, to taking midnight walks with the stroller and not bother about bedtime, to watch my kids grow etc etc etc.

Now, I wish she'd bloody hurry up. :P

Any recommendations, advice, comments or a rant of your own - anything's appreciated.

Signing off with many boo-boos,

Nashua852

Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

plumtree is offline Registered User

Hi I'm really sorry to hear about your back pain- must be horrible and my sympathies. Just something to mention: do you think you have SPD (symphysis pubic dysfunction), or pelvic pain? Some women (myself included!) get it during pregnancy. I think it manifests itself differently for different people, but for me, it feels like my pelvis is splitting apart (nice!). You might not have this at all, but just worth a mention....

One of the "symptoms" is that it's difficult to turn over in bed, which is what made me think of it. I have to sleep with a pillow between my legs and in the late stages of pregnancy, need help from my husband to turn over and get out of bed.

Here's a link, but there are lots of articles if you google it
    Pregnancy-SPD-Pelvic_Pain

I'm pregnant now, and got SPD earlier this pregnancy than the first time around, and it's worse! But I've managed to control things with physio (let me know if you'd like a recommendation) and by careful management.

Let me know if you think that's what it is and we can chat!

Good luck.

carang is offline Registered User

i had excruciating hip pain during my second pregnancy. to the point that i was wheelchair bound for 4 months of an 8 month pregnancy.

i can only hope for your sake that you can find someone to help you.

good luck! i'll be thinking of you!

staargrl is offline Registered User

sorry to hear about your pain- have you tried accupuncture at all? perhaps that will help? :( good luck and hope you feel better!!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I feel for you, that must be terrible to be in such pain during your pregnancy and whilst having to take care of your little son.
    I experienced pain in my pelvis during pregnancy, though nothing like what you are describing, and it lasted until now. Just recently I began seeing a chiropractor. It`s been about 4 or 5 sessions and there is a marked difference. It`s amazing how much we need our backs to be in good shape.
    Maybe you can start the ball rolling and get some x-rays done to see what is going on. If you`re even allowed to see a chiropractor when you`re pregnant, I would not let a GP discourage you. They don`t seem to be regarded well in HK, whose doctors just want to shove you along to see their orthopedic surgeon after they`ve collected their consultation fee and told you basically there was nothing they could do about your sore back.
    Congratulations on your little girl growing inside you though~

carang is offline Registered User

you can't have x-rays when you are pregnant. that's why i suffered as much as i did when pregnant.

plumtree is offline Registered User

FYI, my gynae recommended me to a physio for my SPD (which means I can claim on insurance). I have a pelvic misalignment, which is probably inherent, but which leads to more pelvic pain during pregnancy when the ligaments loosen. I am supposed to go weekly, (don't often manage) but the physio is great: she basically manipulates me to push the pelvis back into alignment. it really helps as I'd virtually be on crutches without it! She also gives me exercises and stretches to do at home.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

It is safe to go see the chiropractor when you're pregnant--all the way up until full-term. A lot of women I know only found relief through a chiropractor. Any good chiro will have an adjustable table where the center falls away to allow for a pregnant belly. They don't need to do x-rays of you initially as that will be harmful to your baby. If you want the recommendation of my chiropractor, PM me. I went to see a chiro when I was heavily pregnant and it made a world of difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast