Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chow Mein Noodles????

canadamommy is offline Registered User

Chow Mein Noodles????

Okay I need some help here! I have this really cute recipe for a lion birthday cake for my three year old and the mane consists of crunchy chow mein noodles. I just went to Fusion and none of the workers had ever even heard of chow mein noodles! My husband was in Canada last week and I could've gotten him to pick some up there, but I figured we live in HONG KONG... there should be some chow mein noodles kicking around, right? Wrong! And I need to make this cake for Saturday. Back home the chow mein noodles are curly and crispy (hard, deep fried) and often just sprinkled on top of a dish.

Anyways, I googled it and apparently the ones I am looking for are also called Hong Kong style chow mein noodles! So this is getting more frustrating. Is there anyone who knows 1) if they are just called something else here (or the cantonese pronunciation) 2) where to get them ????

Thx in advance for any help you can give me!

Jill

dtb
    dtb is offline Registered User
    Well, you can go to any wet market and you should find a fresh noodle shop selling rice sheet, noodles, wonton sheet and, most importantly, chow mien.

carang is offline Registered User
    the noodles the OP is referring to are NOT the same as the fresh noodles in the market. they are a western variation on a chinese thing. the fresh noodles definitely WOULD NOT work, unless they were cooked and deep-fried...

cesh is offline Registered User
    you just mean packet instant noodles don't you? The ones in the small square packs that you add water and flavouring to - they're kind of squiggly (poor decsription)? if that's what you mean, they're in all the supermarkets. Maybe I'm getting it wrong. I though "chow mein" just meant egg noodle.

nope, it's different stuff....
    they are almost a deep yellow colour. TOTALLY western...like i said, best bet would be to buy fresh noodles, boil them, then deep fry them...

canadamommy is offline Registered User
    Thanks Carang! You obviously know exactly what I am talking about! Still can't find them... and really don't want to deep fry my own. I will keep searching...

i've been here 14+ years and have NEVER seen them and i make a hobby of going to new and different supermarkets! ...so, chances are you are not going to find them.

originally from canada myself... i do know exactly what you are talking about. my uncle's wife makes a very yummy salad with them... wanted to make it when i came back here after a holiday, but alas, no luck!

what about finding a candy store like aji ichiban and seeing if there is anything else you could use instead? might not be exactly the same, but could still look good!

solidstars is offline Registered User
    try yue hwa dept - more localised items for sale...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast