Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Half day Shenzen during weekend.

Ai li is offline Registered User
    Thank you sooooo much for the great advices!!!

seems like I do not need any assistance from Lonely Planet anymore.

Will certainly try many places that Shenzhennifer mentioned. May have to do it on different days.

I am sure the trip is gonna to be a blast!!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    I think Luohu is kind of fun and mangeable for a first outing there since it's right in front of the MTR. Everyone speaks English and I've gotten tons of clothing made there. Yes the people in the shops are aggressive, but I never feel threatened there. Just walk away and don't look back. It's their job to do that - to get the business. I personally never buy the fake handbags nor do I buy the toys from China that they sell there. I've bought children's clothing and done tailoring there.

Dongmen does have great DVDs but I have found that going further into Shenzhen is a bit daunting and I only travel around with my girlfriends who can speak Mandarin when I do go. We take the MTR or just a cab. We've been to some great party supply / children's malls too.

Shenzhen itself is huge so 1 day would definitely not cover exploring it. There's also the artist village - Dauphin for paintings and art supplies that I've heard great things about.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Southside852 - can you recommend a few good tailoring places at the LoWu mall? Thanks!

Absolutely!

I get all my pants, shorts, dresses done with #21 (in the fabric market) and then all my shirts (i.e. linen shirts I get here b/c it's so hot and great for traveling!) I get with tailor #5099 - she's located outside the fabric market - same floor.

Lots of AMericans go to #21 and the tailor's assistants all speak pretty good english. I find that their best work is when I give them an actual item and they just copy it. Remember to tell them all the details of the new garment you want made - right up to the buttons. The more explicit the better. #21 has done a great job on pants, my husband's work pants, shorts and dresses.

Once you start going and begin to build a relationship with the assistants/tailors, they will even lessen the prices for you. We've gotten some amazing deals!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi southside

I go to a different tailor but have been finding that the things (especially dresses) are getting more and more expensive. Out of interest, how much does #21 charge for pants, shorts and dresses? Do you buy the fabric separately so that you only pay the tailor for the talioring or do they give you an inclusive price?

I buy the fabric separately in the fabric market and then only pay my tailor for the tailoring. I bargain hard for the fabric but don't really bargain with my tailor (maybe that is the problem!).

Thanks
    SB2

the fabric is usually what you bargain for as most tailors just have a fixed cost. Yes, I also pay for fabric separately, but use the vendors my tailors go to as I do get the best prices there and the assistants can help bargain for me too. I keep returning so many now know me and give me a fair price.

Tailoring (does not include fabric and the more detailed, the more expensive it gets)
    - shorts: @ $40-50 RMB depending on length, detailing etc..
    - Basic women's pants: @ $50 RMB
    - Men's trousers for work: @ $170 RMB
    - dress: under $100

You should absolutely bargain hard for the material and do it before they cut it!

And let's be honest - it's all basically a great deal there even if you don't bargain. It's just a matter of how good of a deal you can get!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Thanks southside. That looks a bit cheaper than mine on the tailoring. I take my tailor with me to the fabric market so she can tell me how much I need when the fabric widths differ so much. She always says I get a good price on the fabric but who knows!! I never bargain with the tailor as she is very fixed in her prices. RMB 70 is about the cheapest I get for tailoring cost on shirts, skirts, trousers etc. Good to cross check.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Thanks, southside852 and starbucks2!

Any reco for a nice mani/pedi place? Anyone?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast