Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Drugs for toddlers on long haul flights

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Like aussie mum, we actually prefer NOT to take the night flight. When we flew to Vancouver this time, we changed our flight to the one that leaves in the afternoon and that worked like a charm with both our kids, compared to when we flew the night flight the last time. We felt that with the night flight it was harder to settle them, because their regular bed time gets totally out of whack, what with sleeping a bit at home and then getting their sleep interrupted during the time we're leaving for the airport, falling asleep on the way to the airport and waking again at the airport/boarding the flight... it took a while after take-off before they could get back to sleep. With the afternoon flight, they had plenty of time to get comfy (as much as they could under the circumstance) and settle down before their regular bedtime, so going to sleep was not an issue.

Re: medication. Our doctor did warn that it would be a hit or miss, so we decided not to. Other friends who've tried told us that the meds didn't really make a difference.

Good luck with your trip.

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    My little girl is exactly like aussie mum's child. She just doesnt sleep. She is busy playing with the controls, turning the night light on, pressing the stewardess button - she is completely knackered but just wont switch off. Then she cries and cries and sleeps for a few hours and then she is awake again - just dont want to go through that again by myself.

We have booked the night flight to London and then an afternoon one for the return flight.

I do put her in her pjs, take stories etc and her bedtime bear. I did everything i could but it was just a nightmare.

I will seek medical advice - thanks all

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I heard of mothers giving their kids Gravol for Kids, but apparently the drug information states that one possible side effect is `excitement, especially in children`. I wouldn`t want to risk that potential nightmare. I know taking drugs like Benedryl for myself causes an adverse reaction and I cannot sleep at all.
    What happened to the `good ol days` when parents would give their kids a nip of brandy? :)

Bumps Guest
    I really appreciate the responses on this thread - ta!

carang is offline Registered User
    i forgot to add, not only do i take pjs but i ALWAYS take the kids' blankets and pillows. i take an aisle and helper/hubby takes the other aisle. the kids spread out in the middle two seats with pillows on our laps and sleep....

but i guess i was lucky?

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    yes carang lucky :o)

from what i can gather that works for most kids but despite all the comforts from his bed (sleeping bag the works!) my son just can't sleep like that. give him a flat bed in first class and i'm sure he would be fine!

carang is offline Registered User
    hmmmm... i'd rather give ME a flat bed in business/first class! LOL! i wouldn't even mind a kid sleeping on top of me!

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Our daughter sounds just like yours Sazzy. No sleeping, no matter how tired.

We've tried Medised (over the counter in the UK) but it is pretty mild.

Phenergan is what our Ped prescribed and contains a mild antihistamine. It didn't work (had the opposite effect, nice...) so he then gave us Actifed Linctus which is the strongest they can give you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast