Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

My MIL is driving me nuts

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    Hi cheerfulmama, I'm just trying to cheer you up a little.

geomum is offline Registered User
    "I'd certainly hope my son finds me a fantastic DIL...but, sigh...is there really any girl good enough for my son??? I doubt it..."

Maybe not good enough in your eyes, but as long as he loves her and they make each other happy you should not be worried :) Our children's happiness is most important to us, isn't it?

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    Geomum, so true. I said it as I saw it in my MIL's eyes...You see, I was never a good enough DIL for her...sadly.

carang is offline Registered User
    i have on occasion considered cutting off my contact with my MIL. i KNOW she has the best of intentions, but she truly drives me mad. there are WAYYYY too many things to write down here, but i understand where everyone is coming from. my MIL seems to have a seive for a brain. hubby tells her something and within 5 minutes she's off doing her own thing. i've given up. she's in her 70s, won't be around forever and she really loves my kids. i've decided that often it is better for my kids to go with her on their own sometimes so i don't have to witness everything there that gets me all worked up. what i don't know doesn't always hurt...and all that.

there are times i'd love to move back to canada to escape my MIL... but then i'd only be closer to my dad... MIL is BY FAR the lesser of two evils.

i really just keep repeating the mantra, "she's doing it out of love..." to help me smile and bear it.

cheerfulmama is offline Registered User
    We are leaving tomorrow and thank god that she is now in Shenzhen doing her nails. Yeah, that's her. So, up to now, we have been enjoying the peacefulness of zero of her advice calls.

in the next few days, I will be hearing (not listening) things like, "isn't grandma smart that I have brought this" "I just know that we will be needing this" blah blah blah..............wish me good luck.

Bumps Guest
    Goodness me, enough to drive you to drink!

Chibi09 is offline Registered User

Angry

Does anyone think it is Chinese MIL's that are bad? We have it drilled into us to respect our elders and Chinese MIL's knows this so they take advantage of it??

My MIL drives me up the wall. It started off badly when soon after getting married (after specifically saying to hubby that MIL is NOT to have a copy of our new house keys), she just nabbed a spare set when she was there when the locks were being changed! I didn't even know this until she announced one day 'now that I have a set of keys to your house, I can check on it for you'...???

Since annoucing my pregnancy, she has told me what to wear, when and how to sleep, what to eat (AND 'the most important thing being not to get fat'!). She has said you cannot die from pain during labor, but can bleed to death...Now all this would be fine I guess, if she doesn't also say 'I know all this cos I am more experienced then you so you HAVE to listen to me'...

HK2008 ~ I am hoping I don't turn out like my MIL and there's a good chance I won't. I am much like my own Mom, I tend to give people a lot of space and privacy, unlike MIL who tends to want to know and has an opinion on everyones business.

(Sorry cheerfulmama for taking over your thread but MIL talk always gets me worked up!)

cheerfulmama is offline Registered User
    It is very okay, Chibi09. It's meant to be a platform for us to share our feelings.

Boy, the 4-day trip to Shanghai was terrible, well as I expected. She kept bragging about how thoughtful she was to bring this and that, even though those items were so not important to be without. and she kept taking in charge of our daily schedule as she thought she had been to Shanghai for many times. Man, that was the first time in my life that I wanted to end the trip and go home immediately. I swear that will be the last trip together with her.

I am not sure if I will turn out to be such a MIL as I am so so crazy in love with my son. I hope I can be like my parents instead. My parents gave me a lot of space and independence throughout my life. They seldom call but they will show their care by actions, they come over once a week to play with my baby even though they live in the NT area (My MIL & FIL on the other hand, talk talk talk without actions, like the daily calls (at least twice a day), they keep saying how much they miss my baby, but they very very seldom come over for a visit even though they live so close). anyway, that's good as whenever my MIL comes over, she will tidy up my place and eventually I cannot find my stuff. urhhhhhh...........

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast