Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving to Bel-Air- Looking for Pre-school

Gardengirl is offline Registered User

Moving to Bel-Air- Looking for Pre-school

Hi-
    We are planning a move to Hong Kong in the fall. My daughter is 3 and I would like to send her to pre-school. Here in the states we were planning to send her to a Montessori school. I have been looking at several schools in the area and I seem to be stumped on several issues.
    How long is the school day? It seems to be chopped up into two hour cycles? This is new for me.
    Do all the schools teach foreign language? We think this is a wonderful opportunity for our daughter and we highly encourage this in a school.
    Does anyone have a preference on the schools in this area?
    I feel so clueless about preschools. Any help would be appreciated.

rani is offline Administrator
    GardenGirl,

Welcome to HK!

Three year olds, normally go to kindergarten here, which is only 3 hrs day. Many Kindergartens have a Mandarin program and its fairly basic. Your child may pick up a few words and learn to count.

Here's a list of Kindergartens on HK Island.

List of Preschools and Kindergartens on Hong Kong Island

Have met a few Bel-Air Moms, and they prefer to send their little ones to Sunshine House in Chi Fu, or Woodlands in Pok Fu Lam. There's also a new Woodlands opening in Aberdeen, which is not far. Not sure if this a Montessori school or not.

Best of luck!

Thank you everyone for all of your replies. They have been so helpful. I am still spending my days searching the web and emailing schools. It has gotten to the point where I have made a chart to keep track of all of the options. I am looking currently at Woodlands Harbor side (new), CDB, Sunshine, Canadian International School and Victoria. I would love to hear any input you can offer.
    Thanks-Michele

Neha is offline Banned
    Honestly speaking it would be best for u to visit the schools personally because on websites and emails everything seems great.

Most schools have open day email them and take an appointment and then u decide.

We are at CBD since March 2008 and love it. If u are looking for a truly montessori school then ur choices are limited to IMS and CBD, other schools have some montessori stuff but donot follow montessori system entirely.

Best of luck

Thanks Neha. I agree, I will need to visit the schools.
    I really wouldl liketo have my daughter in a school that hasa strong emphasis on languages. Montessori style is a plus. Is there any truth to making sure she is in a certain program in order for her to get into a good primary school? I hope I make the right choice.
    Thanks again.