Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Flipping over during sleep

PurpleFlower is offline Registered User
    Something I found on the Babycenter website, under the "when to be concerned" section:

If your baby hasn't figured out how to flip one way or the other by the time he's about six months old and isn't showing any interest in getting around by any other means, bring it up the next time you talk to your doctor or health visitor. Babies develop skills differently, some more quickly than others - and some babies never really take to rolling over - but if your child hasn't moved on to sitting and trying to scoot or crawl instead, ask your doctor about it. Keep in mind that premature babies may reach this and other milestones later than their peers.

So, I guess have a look at the whole picture, rather than just pinpointing on the one milestone? What does your baby do when you put him/her on their tummy?

sorchului is offline Registered User
    Shenzhennifer, starbucks 2, Purple Flower

Thanks for your advice. I just have to wait when my bb learns to flip over. Meanwhile I will give her tummy time and time to play on the mat. Hope that helps.

She is not sitting up either but loves to stand with support.

carang is offline Registered User
    if your baby is strong enough to flip over, he/she is strong enough to move his/her head when sleeping. suffocating should not be a problem. you do NOT need to wake up to flip them back...in a few weeks, you would be getting up dozens of times per night.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by sorchului View Post
    I have a related question:

My 7 months old baby does not know how to flip over yet. Is that rare?
    don't worry...my baby did not flip till about 9months...now whenever we put her down for belly time, all she ever does is flip - left and right! i guess you just have to be more vigilant at this age when they sleep...check to see if your baby turns his/ her head to the side when on the back...if so, you don't need to worry too much...

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleFlower View Post
    Something I found on the Babycenter website, under the "when to be concerned" section:

If your baby hasn't figured out how to flip one way or the other by the time he's about six months old and isn't showing any interest in getting around by any other means, bring it up the next time you talk to your doctor or health visitor. Babies develop skills differently, some more quickly than others - and some babies never really take to rolling over - but if your child hasn't moved on to sitting and trying to scoot or crawl instead, ask your doctor about it. Keep in mind that premature babies may reach this and other milestones later than their peers.

So, I guess have a look at the whole picture, rather than just pinpointing on the one milestone? What does your baby do when you put him/her on their tummy?

my daughter is turning 1 in about 10days....she hasn't crawled, scooted, started flipping at 9 months, but sits REALLY well from the age of 7months...she's more passive I think, so she can literally sit through our dinner without a problem at all! my sister's 7month old is pushing the walker I bought my daughter (whom doesn't even show interest in the toy) and he's walking up a flight of stairs that is quite long (13-15steps) all unaided! I think the reason is because he has 2 older siblings whereas my daughter is an only child...less stimulation and motivation to move perhaps?!? I don't know...chinese nurses at QMH say she's overweight (my own doctor doesn't think so)...so I'm like, she'll do it in her own time...what can you do! :)

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't sweat it--most babies do this--especially once they learn how to crawl. My son was sleep crawling pretty early on. I was a bit paranoid about it. He always slept in his crib by himself. We did not use a baby monitor. He was in another room. Everything is fine. And, of course, I was part of the generation of children who all slept on their stomachs and I'm still here so....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123