solids or not?
- 08-20-2009, 05:29 AM #9Registered User
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
I think, like others have said, in the past everyone gave solids much earlier so it is what your mom feels comfortable.
The obvious thing to me is that your baby is growing, bigger in height and weight at last appointment, so ovbiously he IS growing on milk alone and does not need solid food. Let him eat the amount of milk he wants, he knows what he needs. Assuming he is a normal healthy child, he is not going to starve himself at all. And lets say he was not thriving and did need more food, starting solids is not what would be recommended anyways. I would wait until he is showing the signs of being ready to eat solids, this is a good resource, it is up to dte and has all teh new information ie, starting at 6 months, starting with iron containing foods, etc.
- 08-20-2009, 08:00 AM #10Registered User
- Join Date
- Apr 2006
At 5 m/o or so, my first (daughter) took about 8oz a feed of formula or EBM and my second (boy) took about 5-6oz. She was about 6kg and he was nearly 9kg too so maybe my BM was more 'efficient' second time round!
As the other posters say, it really depends on the baby and yours sounds like he's dong fine! if you can wait til 6 mths then by all means wait.
I started both mine on solids at 5.5mths more to stop them waking in the night hungry (as we dropped the night feed late)!
- 08-20-2009, 10:43 AM #11Registered User
- Join Date
- May 2009
- Hong Kong
Just to clarify it is the Gina Ford Weaning book that I'd recommend for when you are ready to introduce solids. It has step by step on what foods to introduce and how much etc. I was never much of a fan of the Gina Ford Contented Baby book until baby is much older. It is certainly very strict!
- 08-20-2009, 01:10 PM #12
thanks babymommy2, your link is really useful!
slamdunk, good to know my baby's not the only one with variations on drinking EBM... though i worry that 3 oz in 5 hours does seem a bit low...
thanks SB2, i will check out that book when i am next in the bookstore!
- By solidstars in forum Feeding BabyReplies: 37Last Post: 12-03-2009, 10:38 AM
- By Swoon in forum Feeding BabyReplies: 7Last Post: 10-18-2008, 08:55 AM
- By premama in forum Feeding BabyReplies: 3Last Post: 03-07-2008, 09:16 PM
- By premama in forum Feeding BabyReplies: 1Last Post: 01-19-2008, 06:52 AM
- By cristletips in forum Baby's HealthReplies: 12Last Post: 12-21-2006, 11:21 PM