Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

solids or not?

solidstars is offline Registered User

solids or not?

sorry to bring this up again, i did read everyone else's threads but not quite the same situation...

my mom's in town and she keeps saying because we have a big baby, he doesn't get enough milk or he should be starting solids soon. I am trying to wait till he is 6 months old so I can bring him to get his vaccination and get the nurse's opinion...

Background of the story is, at his last vaccination in early Aug (he just turned 4 months then) - his weight / height all went above and beyond the average range. The nurses were like 'oh you don't have to force him to eat if he doesn't want to, let him decide, and don't introduce anything else yet!'

So I keep telling my mom I don't plan on giving him solids yet but she keeps persisting (the other day she tried to get him interested and used a finger to 'wipe' some cherry juice onto his lips!!!! I wiped them off immediately).

My question being (actually I want to hear your thoughts more)... is he ready for solids? He doesn't grab at my food yet (though he always stares). He does put everything in his mouth (but I think it's teething and not hunger). He gets enough diapers a day (one huge poo at least-daily).

As he's in the curious-about-everything stage sometimes he'll BF for a really SHORT time (i'd be lucky to get 5 minutes), but sometimes he'll BF for longer (like at night maybe 20 mins or longer). My MIL takes care of him whilst I'm at work (5 hours / day) and she says he can hardly finish 3-4 oz of EBM nowadays within that time as he keeps wanting to look around/play/etc. She claims that around 5 pm - 6 pm he knows i'm coming home so he bluntly refuses to drink EBM then so he can have 'me' fresh.... I'm not sure about that as sometimes even when I offer BM to him immediately on reaching her house he might drink 1 minute and stop. But I digress...

So, is my mom right and I should start him on solids? Or not?

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

I think you have answered your own question. Go with your instincts and introduce solids when you are ready. Not when someone tells you.

Remember that your mum likely started introducing solids to you when you were just a few weeks old. My DH was given orange juice as his first intro to food at just a few weeks! That was the recommendation back then.

Good luck with it.

Both of mine were about 5 and a half months when I introduced them to food.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I introduced solids to my son at 4 months and 3 weeks. It was because he was constantly at my breast, couldn`t get enough. I couldn`t `up` his formula intake bc he was only breastfed. He was average size but I feel it looked like he started not gaining any weight.
    I don`t think every baby needs to wait til 6 months like the doctors and nurses blindly say. But I wouldn`t only listen to my mother or other people. Listen to yourself, but most of all your baby.

baffelly is offline Registered User

I think it's no harm to try. I would still give him milk first as that's supposed to be his main source of nutrients now. Since he only takes 3-4 oz (btw, how can he get so big with so little milk? your milk must be really nutritious =) he can prob still take a bit solid after a milk feed. Just try with a spoon or two and see if he likes it.

Sazzy is offline Registered User

Trust your instincts. I waited until 6 months. Some of my friends started earlier because the babies were beginning to wake earlier.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Hi

I had a bigger the average baby too who was over the 97% percentile in all his checkups. I still didn't give him solids until 6 months. I would not just do it because your baby is bigger - you need to feel it is the right time. If he does not seem to be grizzling for food and is sleeping well then no need to force him. I used the Gina Ford Weaning book and loved it. She has a section on starting solids early (at 5 months) and another section for starting at 6 months. Very step by step which I loved.

SB2

lesliefu is offline Registered User

where's the salvation army? I am leaning towards sending my daughter for two days out of the week instead of daily classes, which I think is too much and quite unnecessary at this age. My mother is willing to take care of her, but I don't want to use up too much of her time so that is why I think a couple mornings away will be good for both hopefully...lots of great suggestions! thanks everyone!

solidstars is offline Registered User

thanks everyone - i guess i'll wait at least another half month (when he's 5.5 mths?) and reevaluate again then. oze_kid, you're probably right, my mom's generation probably start us on solids much earlier... shenzhennifer i'm not sure if he's gaining any weight but he's almost 9 kg now...

baffelly, i have no idea haha but i hear that quite often now 'your milk must be super nutritious/absorbent'. Even today at my MIL's he only had 2 out of the 3 oz EBM she defrosted for him.

starbucks2/sazzy, he doesn't really grizzle for food... and not sure if gina ford will work with us as he sleeps with us. he doesn't usually get up during the night (knock on wood) so far, he might nuzzle me 3-4 times during the night so i just flip over and feed him and he goes right back to sleep.

lesliefu i believe you might have posted in the wrong thread!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast