Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What would you do?

curiousmummy is offline Registered User
    Hi Rani, How did you interview the helper from Manila, was it by reference?

rani is offline Administrator
    Hi, Yes someone recommended her to us. My helper and I interviewed her over the phone. We would have liked to bring her here for a face-to-face interview. Tickets on Cebu Pacific are really cheap. But we ran out of time, and I asked someone in Manila to interview her for me. I know its a bit of a gamble, but that's how I found my current helper.

slamdunk is offline Registered User
    curiousmummy, other than your helper wanting to (understandably) keep her application a secret from you including sneaking off to do application stuff - now that you know - back to your main question. do you replace now? i think if she's good and otherwise working out well, just carry on with 2 months' notice. like she said, it might not happen and you deal with it later. 2 months should be sufficient time.
    Last edited by slamdunk; 08-22-2009 at 04:47 PM.

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    I would start interviewing immediately. Do not rely on the fact that she may not be successful. Always be prepared. It takes time for you to get the right replacement as well. After you find the right one, give her notice instead.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Our helper's husband got a job in Canada earlier this year so our helper has also put in a visa application for Canada. She told us about it and has said she will give 2 months notice and she will also keep us in the loop about the process, if things change etc. We are very sad that she will leave us. Two of our children are really really close to her and one is old enough to miss her.

I think you should definitely ask for 2 months notice given that you are not firing her. A bit of quid pro quo is appropriate.

I would however have a problem with my helper taking time off to do paperwork without telling me. Ours wouldn't do it in the first place (she would ask or she would do it on Sundays) so I think it says something about your relationship so it might be a good thing that she is moving on.

What is it with all these helpers moving on? It's very sad. Most of them really hate living in HK. Not that I blame them. They are not exactly treated as first class citizens. Good luck to them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scroll to top