Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Recent experience at Adventist hospital

hkbee is offline Registered User
    I delivered my first baby (natural birth) at Adventist a few months ago. A couple of nurses / mid-wives in the delivery ward were very nice and helpful. The hospital wasn't crowded, and I was sharing the general ward with another mum on the first night after my delivery. I told the nurses that I wanted to breastfeed exclusively, and they basically brought the baby to me whenever she wanted to eat, including waking me up a couple of times in the middle of the night. I found most of the nurses patient and well-mannered.

Breastfeeding advice, however, was minimal. Basically, the nurses only demonstrated the possible positions and then left us to work it out our own, rather than spending time with us to see where we might have gone wrong, or how the positioning could be improved. They could have done more to help, I suppose.

Overall, I think it's a pretty pleasant experience.

yan88 is offline Registered User
    I delivered my first at Adventist in Jan 2008 also c-section and i had a very bad experience with them. I am going to Matilda for my 2nd, i will not recommend Adventist.

Because I have allergy for pollen, I can not stand the flowers especially after c-section. But there were alot of flowers in the hall way as one of the patients received them, so I had to ask many different stuffs to remove them in the patients room, but it had taken them about 8 hours two shifts to finally did it! I was suffered very badly during that time but no nurses offered any other solution. there were also kids playing in the hall way and no one stops them.... I had myself checked out the next day.

If you had booked in already you may not be able to get your deposit back and also you do run the risk of not getting in another hospital too. My advise is do remind them if you have some conditions like mine when the time you check in the hospital.

good luck.

alibali is offline Registered User
    I delivered at Adventist in March 2009 and compared to Queen Mary where I delivered baby#1, it was a good experience. I had an induced, but otherwise natural delivery. I do think the nurses were much more helpful, etc. before and during the delivery. After delivery, it was difficult to get a nurse via the call bell. Sometimes, I had to go into the hallway to track one down during the night. There seems to be a skeleton shift on duty at night. The nurses did bring baby to me for feedings, but it was often much longer than 2 hours between feedings during the night. I did complain about this, but it didn't seem to change anything. If you want to sit in a bathtub during your contractions, you need to go into the hallway to another room as the delivery rooms do not have bathtubs inside them (& you cannot do a water birth either!) I chose a semi-private room (2 beds), but it wasn't worth the money. I would advise booking either a private room or a ward room. The lady I shared the room with had visitors constantly from 7:30am until 9pm at night and they dominated the entire room around my curtain as well as the toilet! I left the hospital after one night as I wasn't getting much rest b/c of this. Also, the hospital only has "healthy food" so there was no caffeine (no sodas, coffee, etc) in the building, much to my husband's disappointment so bring a flask! Other than those things, the delivery was perfect (highly recommend Dr. Cora Ngai) and the delivery midwives were fantastic. Not so enthusiastic about the after care, but this was baby #2 and I was much more confident about breastfeeding, bathing, swadding, etc and how to take care of myself post- delivery. If having baby #1, I would recommend Matilda. If having baby #2+, then other hospitals (public/ private) would be ok b/c you know how to do it all...

pinkjewel is offline Registered User
    I delivered my daughter 8 months ago at Adventist, and I had GREAT experience there. From Labor until the last day after C-sec, the nurses were great, very caring and would sit and share all the info on how to breastfeed to nappy change, bathe , swadle and sleep. They would bring in the baby to my ward for breastfeed everytime I asked for. I would love to go there again when I have my second one.

Good Luck

cary is offline Registered User
    May I know why some people are put in the surgeon ward instead of maternity ward? is the hospital very full for ALL rooms? or it's just that you want particular type of room and it's full?

I am going to have c-section in Oct. Though I prefer to have semi-private room, I don't have much concern if they put me in general room or private if semi-private is not available. would that minimize the risk of putting me in surgeon ward? I would be very sad if I cannot see my baby until the next day.....

nino is offline Registered User
    I was in a similar situation - planned c-section in October of last year. I was put on the surgery ward because there were (apperently) no rooms available on the maternity ward - no private, semi-private or ward rooms (I think even the "deluxe" room was taken). I requested a ward room, but we would have absolutely taken any room that was offered on the maternity ward and we made that quite clear when we were admitted.
    The hospital was quite busy while we were there, however my doctor had made the booking two or three weeks in advance, so they had plenty of advance notice that we were coming.

One of my biggest complaints is that each time we tried to discuss the situation (with admissions, nurses, head nurses, etc) we were told that, of course they would move me once a bed was available on the maternity ward. This story, unfortunately, changed throughout my stay - they needed to keep beds free for emergency cases, etc. By the 4th and 5th day, the maternity ward had almost completely cleared out, however, we were never offered to be moved. I left a day early, so by that time, it didn't really matter.

Because of the over-crowding, there were other issues - no space in the breastfeeding room, over-worked nurses. Overall, I had a horrible experience (on top of everything, they were doing heavy demolition on the 7th floor) and I hope you don't have to go through anything similar. Any other questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck.

bonita is offline Registered User
    Has anyone been in the HK Adventist since the H1N1 outbreak? Does it make it more difficult to see your baby? I'm booked for Nov 09.

Carol C Brown is offline Registered User
    My friend gave birth there last year , she had a c-section,she was booked for the standard room but when she get there,they only have the semi-private room available,as u know everything will be 150% more than the standard room,she end up having a v.big bill.
    I can understand that happen if u are having natural birth ,but she booked that day ..dont understand how come they do not hold the bed for her ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast