Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

training cup

curiousmummy is offline Registered User

training cup

Hi All, I have a 8 month old baby...and i have no idea how to introduce the training cup. Any advice? Do I put milk into the training cup or just juice to start with?
    Also, what training cup do you suggest? There are so MANY training cups in the market that I am at loss as to which i should choose.

NYCMel is offline Registered User
    i actually started with just water. it depends what your baby takes to. We went through about 4 training cups w/a spout until we finally reached one he liked (playtex), but then soon realized he drank best from a straw. We use the straw cups/bottles and the Doidy cup which has no lid, but is slanted so our son can see the liquid coming - he loves it and he is now 20 months.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    We also use the Doidy cups! It's messy at first so we just put a little water in it, but as he keeps practicing, he gets better and better at drinking with it! The slant is great too as I love watching him look down at the cup to see the water coming.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I got an Avent one, but bc my son is BF I knew that he wouldn`t know how to use it, so at first I just gave him a regular cup. He only drinks water from it, with my help.
    Lately I have been trying the sippy cup and he is just OK using it - more when he`s really thirsty will he actually suck it. We also have a Combi straw one but it`s from 8 months so I haven`t used it yet, though will soon.
    I don`t plan to put anything but water in it, and perhaps cold tea (unsweetened decaf baby kind).

curiousmummy is offline Registered User
    thank you all!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I agree with the above - expect to buy a few to see what your baby likes and can get the hang of. We ended up with about 7 before we found the perfect one - tip back and bite/suck straw one.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    both my boys favoured the cups with straws as well. the playtex one they use says from 2yrs old but don't be put off by that. my youngest was using it from 8 or 9 months of age with no problem.