Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

4 year old to catch school bus - help!

sea princess is offline Registered User

4 year old to catch school bus - help!

Hi
    Don't mean to sound overly anxious (but I am and have posted this on geokids too!) but my daughter starts reception at the French School this September and as I am carless, it looks like she will need to take the school bus. It's not something I'm comfortable with at all. I called the bus company to find out about the process of reception aged children on school buses (putting youngest at front, getting a feel of how many reception students there will be etc etc.) but I was left with little information to ease my worries, well more accurately NO information.
    I have a few friends that have told me they have not had great expereinces with their younger kids on the bus (really rowdy, poorly supervised etc. etc) I'm really worried about a 4 year old travelling with a rowdy 12 year olds? And no reserved seat for the little ones seems a little strange?
    Feeling really helpless and stressed. Any advice, comments would be appreciated

mumsy is offline Registered User
    Last year I took my son to school myself, but this Sept he'll be taking the school bus since I'm 6mths pregnant and without a helper.

He's also just turned four and although I do feel a little worried, I also know some kids that have taken the bus since they were two/three years old and have been fine.

The bus company has allowed me to accompany my son for the first few days, just to make sure I'm happy and comfortable with the arrangements. There will be a bus mom who speaks both chinese and english to take care and supervise the kids. Fortunately for us anyway, there aren't that many kids on the bus so I guess easier for the bus mom to control.

I've also made friends with another mum in my area whose son will be in the same class as mine, and he will also be travelling on the school bus so I hope they will become good friends and help each other adjust to taking the school bus.

sea princess is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your reply mumsy. Was your son going to FIS as a matter of interest?
    We will have a neighbour who is older than my daughter who will be getting the bus, but I agree it's reassuring if they have someone they can enjoy the trip with and make friends with along the way.
    Hope it all goes well for him this year

mumsy is offline Registered User
    No, we're not going to FIS but I'm sure a lot of the schools use the same bus companies so have similar practices.
    If you can't get any info from the bus company, perhaps also ask the school as they should be familiar with the pick up and drop off arrangements, and might even know if any other reception class kids will be on the same bus too.

For us, the bus mum will help the young children on/off the bus, put on seatbelts and take them directly to the classroom. On the way home, the bus mum (and sometimes driver too) will collect the kids from the classroom again and help to carry their bags. Also each time before they can collect the kids, the bus mum has to register at the office and get a pass for security reasons.

I'm sure all will go well for your daughter too.