Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What did you do on your last birthday?

geomum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

What did you do on your last birthday?

My birthday is next week and my husband will not be taking a day off due his work schedule. I would have ideally loved to spend time with him and our daughter, perhaps go out for a meal. My husband is also bad at buying gifts, he hates shopping and the few times he has actually got me something its either been a hideous colour or size. But now I don't know what I am going to do, if I stay at home I will be a terrible monster by evening. So what did you do on your last birthday?

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Ap Lei Chau
    Well... as my last birthday was including a zero... hum hum... it was quite a great day ! my husband has organised a private cinema party with my friends and we could enjoy a good movie with all our kids, with some champagne :). Then 2 days later we went to a restaurant with my husband, and finally I got a SPA treament in one of HK great place... I could do that every year !! :D

carey is offline Registered User
    Hi geomum, so, you are a Virgo too. My birthday was yesterday. An earlier Happy Birthday to you.

Well, my husband is not good at buying gifts either. He had me to choose my own gift last year when we were traveling. We didn't have a baby then.

This year, my first year with a new born i am tied to, he told me don't expect one from him this year but he took an afternoon off and we had a nice but quick dinner for two while leaving my son at my mother's.

He was going to surprise me by coming home from work earlier ( without telling me about taking half a day off) with some flowers. ( he told me about this after wards).

But my mother changed his plan. She suggested me to go to her home in the morning and have lunch at her home and then go out for dinner with my husband (which was planned).

So my husband ended up did get flowers, left it at home and hoped i would notice the surprise when we come home. but i was totally caught up the baby once got home--putting him to sleep and unpacked his things.

He was not very pleased by it but he understood it.

I guess your husband would give you a surprise too. Let it not trouble your heart.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    my husband is not very good at birthdays. he tries and is getting better but birthdays just aren't a big deal in his family.
    so...on my last birthday I spent the morning with the kids and we made a birthday cake for me. Then as a last minute plan, a couple of friends popped over in the afternoon and we left the kids at my house for a helper playdate and went down to Stanley for a relaxing early evening glass of wine. it was wonderful!! we were only out from 3.30 til 5 but it was such a luxury to do something like that. we almost felt naughty!
    then out for dinner with hubby that night.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    If you have the opportunity for someone to take care of your daughter, then I might suggest a SPA DAY, or half day. Back when I was single suzy, and I was travelling all alone and it happened to be my birthday, I had a lovely wine and steak lunch (I was backpacking on a budget so that in itself was a big deal), got a massage and then smoked a, nothing.

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User
    Beacon Hill, Kowloon.
    I had lunch at the Peninsula, (with hubby, 17 month old baby and 3 year old toddler). I took my three old to the ballet and hubby took care of the baby, (walking round the shops).

I booked this all myself. My husband had no part in the planning. I got a bunch of tulips as my gift from him and the kids. Which was all I wanted really. I have decided after getting so many bad gifts from my husband, I will always be happy with a simply bunch of flowers. He finally knows this now.

Could you arrange a delivery of some beautiful flowers to yourself and arrange a great time out with friends instead of hubby?

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    Yuen Long, Hong Kong
    For my last birthday I had my younger sister (aged 11) stay with us for two weeks, so as a break from waking up at 5 to pack her school lunch and have her bless, unintentionally wake up my toddler every morning (aaargh!) really early I just wanted to do something on my birthday weekend that kept everyone happy and my blood pressure down.

So we ended up going to disneyland and staying at the hotel for a night which actually worked out great! Maybe you and your little girl can go to Disneyland for a day visit and then you and hubby go out for a nice dinner after? Or maybe save the weekend of your birthday to do the same but stay in the hotel (they've got babysitting services) so you and hubby can still go out at night?
    Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009