Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

best first solids?

LeahH is offline Registered User
    We are in the first week of weaning now.

I tend not to defrost EBM the Microwave, I either leave it in the fridge overnight or if I need it right away, drop the bag unopened into a jug of warm water. As you need so little in the very beginning, I'm currently pumping a bit and using it straight away.

Puree is usually at room temp.

I use the Organix range, first taste was wholegrain baby rice mixed with EBM. Next day mashed banana mixed with BM. I'm now on day four and adding in apple puree, tomorrow will be pear. Fruit has been steamed and frozen in cubes.

Next week we will get more exotic with veg. We probably should wait a number of days before introducing new foods, but my first had no reactions to fruit and veg so we will risk it I think..

Like Karmah, I used a lot of mashed avocado with my first. Also sweet potato, courgette and kiwifruit. I used to follow the protein at lunchtime (e.g. cheese before we introduced meat and fish) and carbs at dinner broad guideline. Organic cream cheese was always a winner to mix into fruit and vegetables.

With 1# I introduced chicken at 7 months, other meat and fish a little later at 7.5-8 months I think. Chicken mince mixed with avocado was a favourite. I used to also cook chicken and apricots and freeze into ice cubes to mix with vegetables.

Make Homemade Baby Food Recipes, Homemade Baby Food Recipes, Solid Food Baby Tips, Baby Nutrition & more! is a good website and also the Annabel Karmel book that someone mentions above.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Hi LeahH - What's your schedule for feeding your baby been like this week? I'm probably going to start my 5.5 month old boy on rice cereal this weekend and am now contemplating at which meal I would give it to him. Thanks!

rani is offline Administrator
    FM,

You should really give new foods early at 11am. So you can observe baby in case she has an allergic reaction.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Hi

As Rani says, we started with his first baby rice at 11am (gave him some of his milk feed first and the remainder afterward).

Then the next day transferred the baby rice to 5-5.30pm and introduced fruit puree with EBM at the 11am.

We'll continue like this keeping the baby rice for his 'tea' and introducing new fruits and veg at the 11am 'lunch feed'.

As we get closer to the end of 6 months, we'll add in breakfast (organic oatmeal cereal and a bit of fruit puree) and move lunch to a bit later at 11.30-12.00, so he goes down for his lunchtime nap with a full tummy. He'll prob have cut out his lunch time milk feed and just have a full milk feed when he wakes mid afternoon.

I'll then introduce proteins into his lunch and make his tea from root vegetables or other high carb foods.

solidstars is offline Registered User
    Thanks LeahH and Rani! Sorry for the late response, i'm going to print out your comment and follow it somehow... after I purchase a feeding chair and the Annabel book...

baffelly is offline Registered User
    I started with Earth's Best organic rice cereal mixed with formula. After a week I gave him cooked pureed pears and apples. Then on to cooked pureed carrots, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, potatoes and oatmeal and barley cereal. I tried Chinese congee but he doesn't like it too much unless I mix it with some of the above sweet vege.

I just thinly slice the fruit/vege and boil in a little water for about 20min or till soft, then put in the food processor. I make enough for 2-3 meals each time and keep it in the fridge.

It's a good idea to introduce new good one at a time every 3-4 days. And to have a back up when you introduce a new food in case you baby is picky eater like mine. He hated avocado and would spit it out. I always have a couple jars of food (he likes healthy times) as back up at home and those are good for travelling too. I don't even heat up the jar food.

I got his food from citysuper.

P. S. Expect constipation when first started solids. Pears solved the problem for us as my baby doesn't like to drink much water.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    You can buy prunes too. They will make the baby poop. Also papaya.
    If you steam the fruit and veg, it`s better as it perserves all the nutrients that would get lost in the water otherwise.

solidstars is offline Registered User
    thanks baffelly, shenzhennifer!

i just bought the Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 Quick and Easy Meals for a Healthy and Happy Baby on amazon... hopefully will get that soon in the mail... now all i need is a proper feeding chair and decide on rice cereal and i'll finally be ready to start!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast