Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

best first solids?

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    mnight

Try pureed pears, they are much easier for young digestive systems to digest and better than apples in this regard. The carrot and pumpkin might be a bit rough on his system. Another good vegetable is courgette/zuchini. Just peel, steam and puree. Rice cereal, pears, courgette and avocado were the first foods I gave my son.

solidstars is offline Registered User
    hmm maybe that's what happening with mine... too much for his young digestive system.

i'm going to try banana next (to ease his poopooing) as apples and pears = constipation (according to Chinese?)

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Quote Originally Posted by solidstars View Post
    i'm going to try banana next (to ease his poopooing) as apples and pears = constipation (according to Chinese?)
    thats interesting because all the western baby books I've read say banana can cause constipation! If your baby has constipation try pureed apricot, just buy dried apricots, soak overnight and then cook with water till soft and puree. You can mix this in with rice cereal.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Certain types of bananas you can get from wet market fruit stalls (the shorter really fat variety) are supposed to help with constipation......Try papaya for constipation.

thanks! i'll try papaya and dried apricots too then!

dried apricots -> the ones in the packages in the supermarkets are fine right?

mnight is offline Registered User
    Thanks Karmah. We've gone back to just baby rice to see how that goes and not as large a quantity as he was having before and he seems to be getting better.

Lots of books I read said to steer clear of fruit and start them with veggies as fruit is sweeter and when you give them that first then they don't want to have the veggies - what is the reality?

i read that too. at this point (our point) in time, i'll give him anything he'll actually eat/like! my 'start with veggies' routine isn't working very well.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    I started with rice cereal for a few weeks, then gave veggies and then soon after fruits. Now my 7.5 month old son eats both veggies and fruits everday. Though he clearly likes fruit more. Two weeks ago I started giving him some lean chicken and pork too, but just a very little bit each day in his congee. I was worried about him liking fruit more than veggies too, but then after a week or two of veggies said what the heck and gave him fruit for variety. So now he has veggie and meat congee for his main meal at lunch and then some fruit for dessert. In the afternoon, he still has a meal of rice cereal. There are also certain veggies that he likes more than others...for example he likes carrot more than his green veggies. Oh well, kids will be kids....
    Last edited by FutureHKmom; 11-03-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast