Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

best first solids?

miriam228 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

What about juice? Can we introduce juice to them too? My little one will be 5 months old next week. I am told she can be given juice at 5 months and solids at 6 months old.

Is that so??

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    I started giving my son water at around 4 or 5 months and he hated drinking it so I delayed introducing juice to him because I didn't want him to refuse water even more in favour of juice which is sweet. So I only recently, when my son was 7 months, started giving him juice. But he doesn't like juice! So now he barely drinks water or juice! I have to be constantly giving him a bottle of water for him to take a little bit at a time.

I would think though that juice at five months would be ok. Make sure you dilute the juice though! Solids can be started at earlier than 6 months if you think your little one is ready for it. I started solids with my little one when he was 5.5 months.

yonge is offline Registered User
    Dear Miriam228,

We find that with our first one, being introduced to juice at 5/6 months discouraged him from drinking water. He's only just developed a taste for water at age 4! As a result, we resolved not to introduce juice until very late for the second one and he just receive his first sip at 18 months. He's great with his water, though, which I think is better for him anyway. We prefer them to get their hydration from water and vitamins and minerals from fruits and vegetables as opposed to juice. Too much juice is associated with "toddler's diarrhea" - fairly harmless, but messy. :)

Regards
    Yonge

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    I agree with yonge, juice is too sweet especially when they start teething and you can't really clean their teeth properly. My son is nearly 1 and he only gets milk and water. I won't be introducing juice until he is 2 and then it will be very diluted and only offered at breakfast time.

miriam228 is offline Registered User
    Ic!!! Thanks! Thanks for your advise! Will not introduce juice to her until at a later stage.

Another question:

I see home made cooked purees/food are also stored into ice cubes for the freezer. What about rice cereals?

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Do you mean rice cereal out of a box? If so, you wouldn't need to freeze it - just make it up fresh when you want to feed it to your baby. Just spoon out the rice cereal and mix with breastmilk, formula or water. It's like adults eating cereal.

The reason that cooked foods are pureed and then frozen is for convenience since your baby will only eat a little bit at a time, for some people, it is easier to cook up a big batch, puree and freeze at one time. I actually don't freeze my food, I make my baby fresh veggies everyday with congee and after it is cooked, I will puree some of the veggies cooked with the congee and then mix the puree into a bowl of congee for my son. My nanny or I will eat the rest of the congee and non-pureed veggies that are cooked so we don't end up wasting much.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345