Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Snuffly baby: is mum's diet responsible??

sherwes is offline Registered User

Snuffly baby: is mum's diet responsible??

Hi, my 10 week old baby is very snuffly. It's worse when she is laying down and it does bother her at night (ie she wakes up and snuffles and coughs). I have been to the paed and there is nothing specific wrong with her. I am breastfeeding and considering cutting certain foods out of my diet to see if this helps. I have heard at diary can be responsible (and I love eating cheese!). Any other mums had success with this? Many thanks.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    What is your airconditioning situation like? Can you attribute it to that at all? Would a humidifier help?

Good suggestion but it's not the aircon. We have been travelling internationally recently and also moved house so she has slept in 5 different rooms with various air cons, heaters and levels of humidity during her life...but she still snuffles.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Hmm,we had the same thing. I'm not sure if it was an age thing (and therefore size of nose!) or if it has something to do with the pollution in HK because our baby stopped snuffling about the time we left HK for Australia this summer. We'll be back in HK soon so will see if it comes back. I tend to think it was a bit of both as our second child had it too but it stopped around 5-6 months (without us leaving HK).

I don't think your diet will have anything to do with it personally but could be wrong. I would just give a good dose of saline around 4 in the arvo and it would usually help clean things out enough that our baby would make it through the night without too many problems. If i didn't do it i found he would really struggle to breastfeed because he simply couldn't breathe properly.

Now I have a snuffly baby too! Only since about a week ago, but displaying no other symptoms than audible congestion. he really freaks out and when I fiddle with his nose, trying to remove stuff, or drop saline in. It`s a bit hard for him to breastfeed too. Tonight I am only using a fan in his room, as I wonder if the a/c might be the culprit.
    Must be contagious!

I've found that the saline works well so will continue with that. Other than that I just hope she grows out of it because it is awful to hear her snuffling her way through a breastfeed - it must be exhausting for the poor girl...

My nearly 8 month old totally freaks out when I come at him with the saline and aspirator. I have to physically restrain him while he`s screaming and twisting and turning. It`s really hard. Lucky you with your young baby:)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Try when he is asleep - that's what I do with my 10 month old. It's just about the only time that I can successfully use the saline on her!! She kind of twitches, but mostly stays asleep ;)