Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby falling...

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Baby falling...

My 23 week old baby rolled off our couch last night and fell onto the carpeted floor. Thank goodness our couch is on the low side and the carpet is soft. He cried immediately but for only a few minutes and then resumed sucking his thumb. He could move his head to both sides and up an down and when I touched his whole head and neck and moved his arms and legs he didn't cry. The rest of the evening everything went according to how every evening goes for him - short 20 minute nap at 7:30pm, then two normal feeds at 8 and 10 then bed. He slept well last night and woke up and fed as normal at 7:30am this morning. So I assume this means that everything is ok, right? He is his usual happy baby-self and in fact when my husband got home, he said that I was worse off than the baby as I was so stressed!

In the future, if he falls again (though I certainly plan to take all precautions to make sure he doesn't) is there anything else I should have done or checked after the fall to make sure he is ok? Thanks so much!!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    My 7.5 month old fell off our high bed onto the hard floor 2 nights ago. He cried a lot and I think he had a headache for a while. I felt so terrible.
    You are not alone:)

honeybee is offline Registered User
    It sounds your baby is fine, so don't worry. A paediatrician told me that when a baby falls, should check if his/her limbs are ok and observe the baby for the next 36 hrs, if he/she vomits or becomes slow in response, then he/she may have brain injury, then you have to send him/her to the hospital for thorough checkup.

geomum is offline Registered User
    This article may provide some uselful info:
    Falls | BabyCenter

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureHKmom View Post
    In the future, if he falls again (though I certainly plan to take all precautions to make sure he doesn't) is there anything else I should have done or checked after the fall to make sure he is ok?
    Bad news--your baby is going to fall again. Over and over. And bang into some corners. Can't be avoided, part of growing up, and every kid does it. Just look for the signs mentioned in the other posts and everything will be fine. I imagine that the overwhelming majority of falls are just painful and not serious.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    oh this just happened to me this morning, our 8 month old fell off our bed. As soon as I picked him up he was OK, I think it was more of a shock. And yes I felt so guilty as I had left him sleeping on the bed and only ran to the kitchen for a minute.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by karmah1 View Post
    oh this just happened to me this morning, our 8 month old fell off our bed. As soon as I picked him up he was OK, I think it was more of a shock. And yes I felt so guilty as I had left him sleeping on the bed and only ran to the kitchen for a minute.
    When our first child took his first fall (also off a bed) we felt terrible and also panicked and called the doctor back in the US (since it was night time here). The doctor probably still tells the story 3 years later....
    After the first couple of falls, you start to treat them as normal occurences and not medical emergencies. But it does take some getting used to; nobody likes to see a hurt baby.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks all for your replies! I'm happy to report that everything is also normal for the little one today and he is playing and looking around, eating and sleeping as normal.

Yes, Sleuth, I do believe you are right - as many precautions that I take, I am sure that there will be more falls ahead, especially when he starts to walk!