Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

which breast pump is best?Medela or Avent

mum 2 is offline Registered User

Question which breast pump is best?Medela or Avent

Hi,
    just need some advice on buying a breastpump,
    single or double MEDELA is the best?????

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi

I have not tried the Avent one but can recommend the Medela swing. It is a single one but it has a variable control on the suction power. Some of my friends advised me to get the double one to save time but, mentally, I had visions of being a cow hooked up to a milking machine if I had 2 on at once!!

SB2

geomum is offline Registered User
    Can't recommend Medela Symphony enough, its very fast and helped increase my supply in a month's time.

redarrow is offline Registered User

avent for sure

my wife got the medela double pump thinking it's the best since hospitals and friends recommended. this was before our son was born. unfortunately, we had to see a lactation consultant shortly after our son was born. the consultant is using avent pump and my wife gets to try it. since then, we haven't looked back. the avent pump is the way to go and here's why :-

* it has a massage function which helps to simulate milk flow
    * the pump is programmable. didn't know breast pumps can be so high tech. this is useful to simulate let down followed by how hard/soft you want the suction to be. something like 2 hard suction followed by 1 soft? you get the drift
    * no doubt that the medela is more powerful but this is not necessarily a good thing. for my wife, the suction was so powerful that it actually cause slight pain and hence uncomfortable. if you experience that, then naturally you get nervous or uptight about it and therefore, the milk flow is crap. milk flow best when one feels comfortable and at ease.

after switching to avent, my wife is getting more milk than before. also, get a single pump. double pump is not practical as you would need the other hand to help press/guide the milk from the glands around the breast to the light at the end of the tunnel.

hope this helps!
    Last edited by redarrow; 09-03-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: providing examples

nida is offline Registered User
    for me, avent manual pump worked the best.will not recommend medela.

babyumma is offline Registered User

didn't like medela

I used Medela Swing (electric) and it broke after a few weeks! the suction got seriously messed up (led to sore nipples). the distributor took ages 'fixing' it but no improvement. Ended up buying an Avent manual pump which worked better. What a waste of hkd1500 that was!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I have an Avent manual pump - not too too fond of it though it has served me ok in the past. I can`t use it anymore though, because I can barely get any milk out of it -me or the pump, I don`t know...
    I will go another brand next time around and enough of the manual stuff - how tedious - it will be electric for me.

Koan is offline Registered User
    I have the Medela Freestyle and I love it. I've been using it for nearly 18mnths now and it's still going strong.

If you find the suction too strong on the Medela, you can adjust it. I only use level 4 (out of 10 levels). It shouldn't hurt to pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast