Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Cordblood

lorraine is offline Registered User
    I've been doing some research myself too and still debating on whether to store my baby's cord blood. Yeah, I went to the expo in August too and there were a few companies that I had in mind.

It's funny how you say Healthbaby will 'bear' the burden of the fees in transfering all the cordblood to another company. If they go bankrupt, I'm not too sure if they will even have the money to pay off their debts.

If I can recall from my visit, Cordlife was the only company who seemed more professional and was also a listed company. Not only were their consultants friendly but they were also very knowledgable. They explained everything from top to bottom and wasn't forcing you to purchase something (unlike others).

MY doctor did recommend me to store the cordblood too. I'm still having deep thoughts about it. Nice to see other's views though.

NewBunny is offline Registered User
    Thanks, all, for your valuable info. I, too, am considering which company to use in HK as this service is highly recommended by my Dr.

Just curious if any of you may have looked into the success stories of these companies? The main reason being that I was initially tempted to use Smart Cells since they have successes in Asian countries (e.g. Singapore); however, my Dr. alerted me that their storage is in UK, being the only down side.

Feedback and thoughts would be appreciated.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Ask your doctor:
    1) is he getting a commission from the referral?
    2) what are the specific reasons for the recommendation?

The success stories are minimal at best and non-existent at worst.
    Internet is full of information about this.
    We had 3 kids and didn't store anything.

I think some doctors do have a fee if you want to store the cordblood or umbilical cord. As for my doctor, he was kind enough not to charge me extra for it. I'm not sure if he has liase with the company that I stored with though. However, his views to storing the cordblood was really positive and so I took his opinion and in the end decided to store with CordLife.

NewBunny, I suggest you don't store it with the company you are looking into. If you are based in HK, why would you even want to be connected in the UK? In case of emergencies or if the cordblood will have to be used, you will need so much paper work and delays in extracting it from the UK. In addition, all those regulations that HK citizens are not familiar with will make the whole processs so much more complicated. I relly don't understand why you would go for them. You would obviously want to be closer to your cordblood (i.e. in HK).

I'd say you should rethink your options and weigh the consequences.
    I'm close to being 6 months now. so excited!

NewBunny is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lorraine View Post
    NewBunny, I suggest you don't store it with the company you are looking into. If you are based in HK, why would you even want to be connected in the UK? In case of emergencies or if the cordblood will have to be used, you will need so much paper work and delays in extracting it from the UK. In addition, all those regulations that HK citizens are not familiar with will make the whole processs so much more complicated. I relly don't understand why you would go for them. You would obviously want to be closer to your cordblood (i.e. in HK).

I'd say you should rethink your options and weigh the consequences.
    I'm close to being 6 months now. so excited!
    lorraine: thanks for your feedback. i will need to find out more about extracting from UK. having said that, there are a few reasons why I do not want to store in HK (Healthbaby or Cordlife), as my Dr recommend me to store both blood+cord.

1. When I contact Healthbaby's hotline, they were not professional, and storing blood+cord is >$80K (vs $49K).
    2. I did not get any reply from Cordlife when I inquire online. I believe their charge is in the same range.
    3. I have to admit that I am not a totally confident of HK Science Park and their storage, and with HK regulations changing every so often, it's really difficult for me to see paying for 18/20/25 years storage, esp. when the fee is much higher than elsewhere.
    4. Based on my research, once the blood and/or cord is frozen & assuming that it'll be transported properly to the designated hospital, the place where the blood/cord is stored does not really matter.

Thanks again for your thoughts, and enjoy your 3rd trimester!

no problem, newbunny! Yeah, its always good to have a second opinion. I walked by smartcell briefly, but didn't even take it into consideration when i noticed it was stored in the UK. Also, its such a small company..def not an option for me. When are you giving birth newbunny? seems like you are due soon, better start deciding!

I didn't have a problem with contacting the inquiry hotline, as i found all my information through the babyexpo...but even though i contacted them again, they were really friendly and responded to me really quickly. All of them seemed really knowledgable and the service was superb! That's why in the end i chose to store with Cordlife.

I think cord + cordblood cost about $47K, but i only went with cordblood. I might change my mind later, but we shall see on that. I actually think most of the places are about the same...that's why its so hard to choose.

That's funny about what you said about hK Science park..but like you said, once its frozen, then it really doesn't matter. So for me, i think science park is the most ideal place! Its out of all the city centres and all that..I wouldn't want a nitrogen tank next to my office in Central, if you know what i mean. haha!

Sarah_Lotus is offline Registered User
    I notice that throughout this thread the main idea of storing cord blood is for insurance purposes. I hope you all know that exclusive breastfeeding will greatly reduce a baby’s chance of getting almost all of the diseases cord blood collection is supposedly going to cure, http://www.llli.org/nb/nbbenefits.html
    2010-NewDad and Gataloca like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_Lotus View Post
    I notice that throughout this thread the main idea of storing cord blood is for insurance purposes. I hope you all know that exclusive breastfeeding will greatly reduce a baby’s chance of getting almost all of the diseases cord blood collection is supposedly going to cure, http://www.llli.org/nb/nbbenefits.html

that's rather interesting! never really heard about that before..do you have further details or articles?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Scroll to top