Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mid-levels or Southside with regards to air pollution

Momz is offline Registered User

Mid-levels or Southside with regards to air pollution

Hi, we are moving to HK at the end of Oct and were in HK last week to view apartments (all over - the south, Pokfulam, Peak and Mid-levels). I have a 14-month old and am trying to do a bit of research on which areas are better in terms of air quality. We have short-listed Dynasty Court on Old Peak Rd (Mid-Levels Central) although I'm not sure if being on the northern side is worse in terms of air pollution? Any advice from your experiences are most appreciated, thanks!

PS: Also looking forward to meeting other moms and toddlers for playgroups!

aussie mum is offline Registered User

another thing to consider when you choose your apartment is what it might be like day to day if you have a second child. I didn't consider this when we first moved to HK and found our apartment complex completely inaccessible after I had my second. We ended up moving as a result.
    just thought i'd throw it out there to save you the same mistake I made.

can't really comment on the pollution unfortunately. we live on the southside for the extra space and less street -level pollution due to cars and buses but i have been shocked how polluted the southside can be outside of the summer months.

LeahH is offline Registered User

For me the pollution seems less noticeable in Pokfulam than it was in our previous place in the mid-levels (that is not to say it is actually less and the air quality is better, I just notice it less). We are on the hill in one of only a few high rises in the area so we catch strong breezes and there is a lot of open space around the building.

The other advantage of the move has been the stroller friendly wide streets down to a local supermarket with good organic / western ranges, open spaces for toddlers to run around (Cyberport, a local park) and 2 indoor playrooms a short bus ride away (wise kids and playtown).

We are still close enough for me to commute easily into central (albeit by taxi at a cost as the public transport links are not brilliant or quick).

Thanks for your replies, ladies. I do realise the hilly roads of Mid-levels are not walkable with a stroller. Good point about the no. 2, I do plan to start on that after we settle in HK. The main reason we are inclined towards Mid-levels is simply due to the proximity to my husband's workplace (IFC2).

Aussie mum: Which area did you used to stay? Was it Mid-levels too?

Aussie Mom

LeahH is offline Registered User

I work in IFC2 also and the commute was 10-15 mins from mid levels (a bit farther west than Dynasty) because of the mid levels heavy traffic.

It's 20 mins, 15 on a good day because it's highway all the way from where we are in Pokfulam direct to the back of the IFC2 office building.

plumtree is offline Registered User

It's worth noting that a number of the apartment complexes have shuttle busses that take you into Central at regular intervals in the morning (e.g. Parkview and many others). Others here will know more about this, but the busses are very convenient and this could expand your search area.

Neha is offline Banned

U should also consider what preschool /Kindergarten u will like your child to go.

Thanks!

Looks like we'll be sticking with Old Peak Road at Mid-Levels Central after all. So now I need to get round to searching for pre-school and playgroup options. Any leads?

I heard that even for kindergarten, the waiting list is long and you have to register 2 years earlier or something like that (??!!!) Any truth in that? My pumpkin is 14 months old now, sounds like I'm too late!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast