Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Elective C-section after 39 weeks

babyat23 is offline Registered User

Elective C-section after 39 weeks

I chose elective c-section for personal reasons.

Right now I'm seeing Dr. Anne Fang and I told her that I prefer having the baby by c-section after 39 weeks.

She told me it should be done at 38 weeks not to risk going into labour.

But I have been doing a lot of research that babies delivered by c-section before 39 weeks (even at 38 weeks) are prone to respiratory problems.

Does anyone here have the experience of having an elective c-section after or at 39 weeks? If so, which Dr. would you recommend?

Thank you!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    I can't be much help but I had an elective c-section and was also told them same thing that it should be done at 38 weeks, which it was. My bub didn't have any respiratory problems at all.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    At 38 weeks the baby is considered full term. I went into labour then(and had an unplanned c-section) and they didn`t even consider it to be early. My baby was as strong as a buck. Under 37 weeks is considered pre-term. Your doctor might also be saying that just to make sure you can have a scheduled one, instead of an unplanned one in case you go into labour a bit early, which obviously benefits the doctor just as much as the patient.
    Unless it`s hospital policy, I would just stick to your guns and insist upon having it at 39 weeks. Or how about 38 weeks 6 days? ;)

nino is offline Registered User
    Happy Valley
    I also had a planned c-section at 38 weeks. I hadn't heard anything about respiratory problems or other complications, I just wanted to be sure that we didn't have to deal with an "emergency". My daughter was, and still is, very healthy.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I didn't end up having one but my doctor (Dr Dawkins) had said that he would not perform them earlier than 7 - 10 days before the due date - so I guess that is around 38.5 - 39 weeks?

sherwes is offline Registered User
    38 weeks is considered full term and I believe that the relevant studies generally deal with respiratory problems in pre-term babies (whether they are born vaginally or via c-section). The exception is that babies born via c-section are generally more "mucusy" (spelling??) because they haven't had the mucus squeezed out of their lungs on the way down the birth canal. This is why the paed in attendance will use a little manual "sucker" device to suck the mucus after a c-section birth. This doesn't lead to more respiratory problems down the track (according the advice I've received).

I've had 2 scheduled c-sections - one at 39 weeks and 2 days (in Australia) and one at 41 weeks and 4 days (in HK). My second c-section was with Dr Alex Doo however I was actually trying for a VBAC but ended up with another c-section rather than be induced.

o_lll is offline Registered User
    i had my 1st elected c section for my daughter at 39w5 and am having my 2nd one in a few days at 39w6. The dr did my 1st c-section doesn't deliver anymore and my current dr is Dr Doo. Both drs suggested the best time is 7-10 days before the EDD. The 1st one said the later the better for the baby's respiratory system. Dr Doo reminds me the risk of going in labor and become "emergency" that the whole bills shall go up by 50%. My trick is to stay inactive and away from food/herbs that would promote a smooth delivery in the opinion of chinese medicine practitioner.