Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much solids should babies eat?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

How much solids should babies eat?

I always read `every baby is different`, so nowhere seems to give an amount to feed your baby that I have seen.

My nearly 8 month old is on 3 solid meals a day. This is what I usually feed him:
    Breakfast - Fruit with yogurt/oats
    Lunch - veg with lentils/chicken/beef/tofu (3 cubes or full small jar or half a large jar), fruit (2 cubes or half jar), bowl of barley cereal
    Dinner - same as lunch but with rice cereal instead.

But today I found out that he`s only gained 400gm in the last 2 months - he is now in the 25th percentile, whereas he was always in the 50th. that`s not very much weight gain considering he eats what I think is a fair deal of food. I always prepare extra and he always eats it. In fact, just this week, I prepared a bit less bc I thought he should drink more of my breastmilk as I don`t think he gets enough.

Is this consistent with what other people are doing? By the way, he is more mobile now yes, but not crawling yet.
    thanks~

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

I've been wondering the same thing...I did read between 6-8 tablespoons split between a savoury and sweet course, but my 8 month old eats double that.

I feed him similar things to you but dinner is the same as lunch with yoghurt and fruit for desert. He also has 3 bottles of formula a day (6.30am, 1.30pm and 6pm). Do you give him fish? My son loves trout and salmon not keen on meat and chicken...i haven't tried tofu but will give that a go! how do you prepare it?

My son is very active, crawling at 6 months and now creeping around the furniture, he also does swimming lessons twice a week. He is chubby and last time I got him weighed he was on the 75th percentile, when he was born he was only 2.4kg and on the 15th percentile. Its the formula thats helped him put on weight as I had very low supply and couldn't breastfeed him full time.

I usually just feed him till he turns his head away a few times. And after a dinner he wants his bottle of milk straight away, I thought he must of been still hungry but he isn't interested in more food, just wants milk.

A baby's weight gain does slow the older and more active they get. He isn't losing weight so i don't think you should be too worried.

mscheerful is offline Registered User

if his gaining rate is like when he was baby then he will be huge when he is older! Consider that he is moving so much now and active, he is now in the 25th percentile is a very reasonable gain! Nothing to worry at all.

gladyswly is offline Registered User

I only give my 9 months old one solid a day, except for snacks, like puffs and rusks... Am I giving too little as you all are giving 3 solids a day... But I heard a paediatrician said, before 1 year old, babies' major nutritional intake should be milk, solid food before 1 year old is not for nutrition, but more for practice oral activities to prepare her for chewing and speech. So the doctor suggested not to cut down milk intake for solid food...

I don't know, but I give my LO 3 milks and 1 solid a day, she is always on the 75 percentile on her weight gain...

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

Gladyswly

Milk will still be baby's main food and source of nutrition. Giving solids 3 times a day just gets baby used to eating like an adult. They really don't eat that much. I don't give my son snacks between meals except for a rusk which is more for teething.

When do you give the solid meal? How much milk do you give? I offer a bottle of 200ml (7oz), if your doing more you could try to reduce it and offer solids. Here is my son's routine
    6-6.30am - bottle of milk 200ml
    7.30am - solids for breakfast - rice cereal with fruit, if he has milk left over from the bottle I use it to make up his breakfast.
    11-11.30am - solids for lunch - protein or pasta and vegetables
    1-1.30pm - bottle of milk 200ml
    5pm - solids for dinner, usually same as lunch
    5.30pm - 6pm - bottle of mlike 200ml

Hope this helps.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

My 10 month old eats somewhat like this:

breakfast - she eats a bowl of cereal and a piece of fruit... she'll eat a whole banana or kiwifruit, or about 5 strawberries...
    lunch - usually I give her a piece of vegemite toast, or a rice cake (those ones made with puffed rice - I give her the adult ones rather than the kid ones), sometimes some more fruit or other little snacks, like cookies or something - depending on if she's hungry or not. She also loves cheese or yoghurt. I give her water, or sometimes diluted apple juice with lunch and dinner, but not at breakfast time.
    dinner - small pieces of vegetables and meat, usually just from our own dinner but sometimes I cook especially for her if our food isn't as suitable. She loves pasta too. Dinner time, generally she feeds herself and I try to eat at the same time with her, promote that "family meal" kind of thing. It's quite nice! Although she gets VERY messy so it's always straight into the bath afterwards!!

She actually eats quite a lot of solids now! But at this age, their weight gain slows down a lot. I think she's only put on less than half a kg in the past 3 months!! But she's growing longer. She's just losing some of her baby fat. But that's meant to be normal after 6 months of age when they get significantly more active.

In between her solids, I still breastfeed on demand. I still bf probably 6-8 times a day most days - but these days it's just quick 3 minute feeds. I rarely bf when I'm out though because I tend to feed before I go, then just offer other snacks with water/juice to drink, just because that's easier... I have no idea how much milk she gets these days, but I figure she's generally happy and healthy, so that's good enough for me ;)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Karmah1 - I add silken tofu to whatever he is eating. Like for lunch today for his veg I gave him 2 cubes cauliflower, 1 cube carrot and about a tablespoon of tofu and just mixed it together. Also, it sounds like your baby is drinking more milk than mine. I`m sure he`s not drinking 200 mls per feed, maybe right before bed, but that`s it. I actually started to cut back his food a little so he would be hungrier for milk. now I don`t know which will make him gain more...:(

Mscheerful - I know they gain less weight as they get older, but to my understanding they should be gaining at an increase on their chart. Mine isn`t - he`s going up and down.

gladyswly - as karmah1 said, although milk is still the most important source of nutrition, solids are now needed to get other nutrients that our milk doesn`t give anymore. I can`t say whether you are feeding your baby too little, especially as she sounds nice and chubby, but it does contradict what I have read, in terms of food schedules and the like. I also read that if babies are not given much food or given food too late, then later they are hard to feed or are fussy with food.

Nicolejoy - wow, your baby drinks a lot still! I have practically had to forcefeed my baby sometimes. He gets really cranky with my sometimes slow letdown and there are so many interesting other things to do. I wish I could measure how much milk he was getting.

Last edited by Shenzhennifer; 09-04-2009 at 02:17 PM.

gladyswly is offline Registered User

Wow, I think I really have to give my baby more solids, I don't want her to be a fussy eater! My feeding schedule is like this..

0700 milk 240ml
    1100 rice cereal with veggies or meat (I used 120ml milk to mix with the rice cereal, and I use Organix baby first banana porridge)
    1500 milk 240ml
    1900 milk 240ml

I don't know how to integrate solids inbetween milk, because she won't be hungry enough to drink milk if I give her another bowl of cereal between milks...

karmal1, is it really your little one can drink 200ml milk half an hour after the solid dinner?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast