Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Brushing Baby's Teeth - when to start?

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Yes he does, that's why I buy it at IMI, it's an organic one, strawberry taste and has no fluoride, and is also recommended when you do an homeopathic treatment as there is no mint in it.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Thanks for all your feedback...I will keep doing what I'm doing!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Everything I read about teeth brushing and cleaning said that you should start gently wiping the gums of your baby early on which helps their mouth to be healthier because even though babies may not have teeth yet, if their gums are not healthy it can affect their dental health later on.

So, I was using one of the "finger tip toothbrushes" even before my son had teeth. He got his first teeth at about 4-5-months-old.

Fluoride is actually a bit toxic and everything I've read says you shouldn't use toothpaste that has it in it until your child is old enough to understand spitting out the toothpaste and not swallowing it. Fluoride is a common plaque and cavity fighter but it is not the only way to protect your teeth from cavities. Tom's of Maine has a really great selection of toothpastes that are fluoride-free: Natural Toothpaste: Experience Tom's All Natural Toothpaste | Tom's of Maine

In Hong Kong, I just bought a a tube of organic mandarin toothpaste that is without "harsh, foaming agents (sls), fluoride, artificial sweeteners, colourings, flavours or preservatives" made by The Green People Company. http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/childre...aste-50ml.aspx My nearly 2-year-old loves it and I've tried it on my own teeth and gets them much cleaner than your average tube of Colgate. And if he swallows some (which he usually does) it's not toxic to his body.

Now, my son is willing to brush his teeth 2+ times a day and a couple minutes at a time so his teeth are a lot healthier than they would be otherwise.

kindredspirit is offline Registered User
    Hi - where can I buy the mandarin toothpaste? Thanks!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirit View Post
    Hi - where can I buy the mandarin toothpaste? Thanks!
    I bought mine at the Green Concepts Health Shop in Causeway Bay. They have other flavors as well. I really like that Health Food Store as they have a very good selection of items as well as books.

Here is their website:

naturalhealing

kindredspirit is offline Registered User
    Thanks very much!

monte is offline Registered User
    My son (18 mo) used to be OK with tooth-brushing. Lately, though, he resists it and really puts up a fuss. We've tried letting him do it, being really gentle, singing songs/games/trying to distract him, etc, all to no avail! I don't want it to become a big fight, so that he hates brushing his teeth, but I want to take care of his gums/teeth. Any advice? And when should we take them for the first dentist's appt?

Wanetom is offline Registered User
    at the age of 2 years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast