Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

what do these terms mean? (in baby checklist)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stimemum View Post
    great advice all. I definitely think i'm going to hold off on buying the wedge. I think rolled up blankets might be a good idea. The basic idea is to keep them in place, isnt it to prevent them suffocating.
    I used the towels so my babby would stay in place because he was so tiny and looked like he was swimming in the middle of his already tiny bed. I wasn`t afraid of him suffocating because they can`t really move at that point yet.

Advice from others is great, but just do your own research and make your own decisions. I generally don`t listen to a thing salespeople say unless I`m asking them about a particular product.
    You don`t have to have every little thing ready for when the baby comes. I tried to do that also, but some things change or don`t work out so you still have to go out and buy stuff after they`re just born.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stimemum View Post
    hi all, it seems most of you did not use a wedge or pillow of anysort. At the shops, salespeople try to sell me pillows, bean pillows, a U shaped head pillow,2 pillows on either side of baby.

During the first six months, does the baby need anything else besides being well swaddled?

Thats what I read but then I started getting all this 'advice' from well meaning people and i got confused.

From my impression, the Chinese(and Asians for that matter) do a lot of things differently from western folk, especially when it comes to pillows and the such in the cot. Haha, my baby was born in China and you should have seen all the blankets and wraps they put on him in the hospital - you could barely see him.
    You`re right, the baby doesn`t actually need a single thing in their bed. If your baby likes being swaddled, great, then that`s all it needs. Mine hated it, so I just used thin blankets (it was winter then).

carang is offline Registered User
    the salespeople at the shops have ONE purpose only... to SELL you things.

the only NECESSARY things a new born NEEDS:

1) somewhere to sleep (i have heard that people in the past even used an empty drawer from a chest of drawers)

2) clothes, what and how many is up to you and how much washing you want to do

3) diapers, cloth or disposable

4)bottles etc (if you are bottle feeding)

EVERYTHING else is a luxury. some people find somethings indispensible (i LOVED my breastfeeding pillow that i had for my 2nd, but got by just fine without it for my 1st). some people swear by muslin clothes. i just used a hand towel that i already had.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    From birth until 3 months, my son slept in a bassinet in our room and we didn't need any wedges or pillows to keep him in place as he was swaddled and the bassinet itself wasn't that big so there was really no room for him to turn over (nor did he know how to turn over then). When we moved him into his own cot in his room when he was 3 1/2 months old, we just used rolled up towels, but only until he was about 5 months and then we just removed the towels and now he doesn't need anything to keep him in place. So I don't think there is any need to buy a wedge. However, I do have one of those really long bean pillows that I bought when I was pregnant. That is actually usefully for breastfeeding - but as carang mentioned, is definitely not a necessity.

As for black out curtains - we also don't have those. I preferred to train our baby to stay asleep even without blackout conditions. In fact, in the beginning, for the first two months, we would keep the bathroom light in our room on so that it wasn't pitch dark. We were afraid our son would be scared in the pitch dark!

LOL! that's so funny... afraid of the dark... i wonder how much light actually gets into the womb? (i'm not being sarcastic, actually wondering....)

i think it is so funny how we all (myself included) put our own fears onto our kids...believe me, i know i've done it myself.

as for being afraid of the dark, i've found that with my two kids that didn't develop until they were old enough to discover monsters, aliens, dinosaurs etc. (around 2 yrs)

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Well, I'm sure no light gets into the womb....but for the first few days of his life, my son was in a room with light 24 hours a day as they kept the lights on all the time in the hospital nursery (guess I never went out to check but I am assuming the light was always on). So I just thought that when he gets home, I should try to keep similar conditions so he is not too afraid of being in a new place. And I also kept the light on so that I could easily see him when I looked from my bed into the bassinet.....

not to worry futurehkmom. AFAIK the hospital keeps most of the lights on in the nursery (at least at QMH).

ps> my kids still sleep with the light on in the bathroom.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    no - i didn't have any wedges...just used rolled up towels,

and no - I didn't black out the room since I didn't think it was "natural"...my baby sleeps well anywhere now -light or no light, if she's tired, she'll sleep! she will also sleep with a barking dog in the background! I've conditioned her to sleep with the "unconventional" way I guess...works well for me now! I don't have to worry about going home at certain times for her to nap / sleep!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast