Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

what do these terms mean? (in baby checklist)

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    I did use a wedge with my son because he was so small when born (2.4kg, just over 5lb) and he was sleeping in a hammock. I only used it for about 6 weeks till he was big enough.

I only swaddled up to 12 weeks, for the first 8 weeks he was fully swaddled and then I swaddled him with one arm out. As babies gain control over their limbs they like to be free. I then put him in a gro-bag as his arms were no longer flailing around when he slept. Some babies may resist swaddling and they always seem to escape so get yourself a good swaddling blanket with velcro. A good one is the Kiddopotamus.

Kiddopotamus: Products: SwaddleMe
    Last edited by karmah1; 09-10-2009 at 04:50 AM.

cesh is offline Registered User
    The wedge is really more helpful for babies with reflux as it slightly elevates their throat above their stomach. That way they can be a little more comfortable and sleep better.
    Was great for my nephew (and his mum).

like this one....

BabyWedge - Baby Pillow | Acid Reflux Pillow | Infant Reflux Treatment Brisbane, Australia

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    We used black out curtains to try to mimick the darkness of the womb and it ended up with the extra plus that our baby would sleep until 8am until he was more than 1 year old. That's a massive blessing! He also never had a problem when we would travel and there weren't black out curtains though he would get up a little earlier.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Loved the wedge. Peace of mind for me (together with a motion baby monitor) to help with the risk of SIDS.

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    hi karmah1

I just got the swaddle u recommended by co-incidence but glad to know its well liked!

regards the wedge, I respect and am truly grateful for everyone's opinion, right now I dont know yet if i need one so will wait till bub arrives to let him tell me.

its all about taking it a step at a time isnt it!

4 more months to go!

Quote Originally Posted by cesh View Post
    The wedge is really more helpful for babies with reflux as it slightly elevates their throat above their stomach. That way they can be a little more comfortable and sleep better.
    Was great for my nephew (and his mum).

like this one....

BabyWedge - Baby Pillow | Acid Reflux Pillow | Infant Reflux Treatment Brisbane, Australia
    Hi Cesh,

The wedge I used wasn't like this, it was 2 triangular pieces which are on either side of the baby joined by a flat piece (sorry bad description!) It basically held my baby flat on his back in his hammock. It was more of a support either side, like rolling up 2 blankets like logs to place either side of the baby. If he was in a normal bed I wouldn't of bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimemum View Post
    hi karmah1

I just got the swaddle u recommended by co-incidence but glad to know its well liked!

regards the wedge, I respect and am truly grateful for everyone's opinion, right now I dont know yet if i need one so will wait till bub arrives to let him tell me.
    You will love the swaddle. And yes wait till the baby arrives before you get a wedge. My LO was too small and sleeping in a hammock so I only got it for support till he got bigger...but 2 rolled up blankets would do the trick too.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I used the same kind of baby wedge as Karmah - personally that seems "safer" than blankets either side because it's secure, it's less likely to move and get on the baby's face. I don't know exactly which kind is meant to be a SIDS risk and all - but that kind seems safer than having extra blankets/pillows in the cot. I personally would use it again. I wouldn't trust just having rolled up blankets. And it's not like it's expensive - less than $100 - maybe even less than $50, I can't remember exactly...

Ultimately, it's each to their own - you're not going to use everything I used, and you might use some stuff that I never used too. Whatever works for you and whatever you feel comfortable with. I just thought I'd offer a different opinion :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123