Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Suggestions for destination for first trip with baby

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I would take them out of bkk. There really isn`t that much to do for kids apart from a few playrooms in department stores, seeing temples(which kids might like if only for a few minutes), floating market maybe. within a couple hours of bkk (bus) in all directions are great places(Kanchanaburi, koh samet, hua hin and similar lesser known versions of each), and are definitely a lot more low key than bkk - good massage and awesome food abound everywhere, though great shopping is really only in bkk.

gladyswly is offline Registered User
    FutureHKmom, one tip for travelling with baby on a plane if you have never tried before, we went to US back in July for a month to visit my husband's family, my baby girl was 8 months. She was very good on both flights (we need to transit in Chicago), except when the plane started to decend (landing). She just cry and cry and scream, it hurted my heart. She was crying because her ears were hurting due to the change of air pressure, the crew said it is worse if baby was sleeping during flight. On our way back, we decided to buy her a pair of ear plugs, but we couldn't find one for infant, just those for kids and adults. So, we used cotton wool balls. We riped a small piece of cotton ball, wet it with some water, squeeze the water out (just to make the cotton ball more 'solid'), and put it in both her ear holes. IT WORKED!! She didn't cry any on both flights back! And it's cheap! :)

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User
    Another solution for the air pressure is to give the baby the bottle or pacifier while taking off and landing as the swollowing will lessen the pain. It worked for my child on our flight back to Sydney. Our flight was OK, baby was 12mths back then. BUT the worst thing is the turbulence. Every time there was turbulence, I was instructed to remove the bubs from the bassinet, which means waking him up, and strap him to my flight belt. On our way back on the night flight, this happened 5 times. I didn't get any sleep whatsoever, and baby was crying half the time. Luckily, the humming of the plane engines in the background drowned out some of the crying. AND one more thing, don't feel bad when other passengers start rolling their eyes at you...what would they know if they haven't taken a baby on a flight.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    One downside about flying with a baby to watch out for is all that travel and getting out of their routine can make a baby very very cranky. Even if you just fly a few hours, if your flight is super early or late, the time to the airport, waiting around, the time traveling from the destination airport to the hotel, etc. Ugh. I`m tired just thinking about it. Am not in a hurry to go anywhere but I think hubbie wants to go back to Japan next month. sigh.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    Our test trip was to Singapore's Sentosa Island when our son was 8 months old. It's a safe, clean city with great medical care in case of emergency. It's just far enough to feel like a real trip and the culture is so laid back and not stressful

gladyswly is offline Registered User
    My baby girl doesn't like pacifiers so we used the cotton balls. Funny thing is she actually likes the turbulence. On our way to US, we couldn't get a bassinet. My husband and I took turn to hold her on our laps, that's NOT fun. But it was so funny my girl would laugh whenever there was turbulence, she likes the ups and downs. It was so funny. On our way back, we finally had a bassinet, and she was sleeping so peacefully she didn't wake up even we moved her out of the bassinet a few times because of the turbulence.

To me, taking baby on a plane trip is still a hassle to me... all the packing.. tiredness... her being grumpy and cranky... aargh. And the worst is she would not even remember she has been to those places before!

carang is offline Registered User
    i took my two kids to australia for an entire month last november...neither of them remember very much about it! even though we stayed in a motor home the entire trip!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12