Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving baby to own room

lisa88 is offline Registered User

Moving baby to own room

Our 6 month old has just started sleeping through the night, apart from occasional waking when she loses her dummy or still wants a feed. She has been in our bedroom for the night feeds since birth. I am thinking of moving her to her own room, before separation anxiety sets in. My hubby is not too keen as he thinks she is still too little to be sleeping on her own. What's a good age, and how to transition this without too much tears and sleepless nights?

carang is offline Registered User
    every family is different. we moved our daughter when she was 6 months. our son was in his own room from about 3 months.

some people have the baby in their own room from day 1. others share their room for years.

it really has to do with you, your husband and your comfort levels. often it is easier than you think.

personally, i would rather have the baby make the transition before she gets a "mind of her own" and can scream down the house for hours on end.

how to transition? we just did it with very little fanfare. we put her in the other room for naps for a few days, then started the same thing in the evenings.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Our son slept with us till 6 months and then when we moved house we put him in his own room on the first night and he has been there ever since. I didn't sleep much the first few nights as I was always listening out for him. We also has a spare bed in his room so if he was upset and hard to settle I would sleep in the spare bed for a couple of hours so he knew I was close by.

As carang mentions above better do it before bub gets a mind of his own and realises what is going on. I think 6 months is a good age beyond that baby might resist and you could be up for alot of tears.

nino is offline Registered User
    Our daughter slept in our room until she was about 10 months, however, she wasn't sleeping through the night, waking several times each night. I was reluctant to move her into her own room, but we did and she has been sleeping through ever since! She didn't seem to mind the transition at all. I probably would have kept in her in with us until she was 1 year or older if she had been sleeping through in our room just because I liked having her there.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    My son moved to his own room at 6 months, the same time he moved into a cot. We transitioned him with naps first. The first while with nights were hard - don`t know if it was the room or the cot, and often ended up back in his hammock in our room. But after 2 weeks or so it was ok. He seemed to actually wake less for milk, though it is still very much hit or miss with his sleeping habits (last night was miss:(...).

gladyswly is offline Registered User
    My baby girl sleep in the same room with us until she was about 3 months old. Same as Karmal, we put her in another room after we moved house as we got the chance to rearrange the furnitures.

She has no problem at all. She has always sleep better in another room because she is very easy to be waken up. When she was sleeping in our room, everytime we toss and turn in the bed she would wake up and cry. We couldn't shower or even turn on the tap water in the bathroom in our bedroom because she would be waken up and cry. And her bed in our bedroom was right next to ours, so we could hear each other tossing and turning and all of us couldn't sleep well.

After she is in her own room, it's more of me being paranoid than her getting upset sleeping by herself. I have the baby monitor on every night and still I would get up and check on her every hour at night to make sure she is okay.

But letting her have her own room is a very good way to 'train' her to sleep by herself without your help. Now my baby girl is 9 months, she would fall asleep by herself after I put her down in her bed, and I don't even have to turn the monitor on anymore. Good night sleep for all 3 of us.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    We moved our son to his own room when he was 3 1/2 months old in preparation for me going back to work. He didn't really have any problems at all with it and just slept through the night from the first night! I was reluctant to move him into his own room at first, but my husband was quite insistent and it all turned out fine. We have the monitor on all the time, check on him whenever we wake up at night for the washroom and recently, because he has been flipping over in his sleep and sleeping on his stomach, we have bought a Tommy Tippee movement monitor also. Good luck with the move!

carang is offline Registered User
    once a baby can roll over, sleeping on the stomach is not such a big deal as the baby has the strength in the neck to be able to hold the head up enough to breathe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast