Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

8 month constipation + skin tag

TeamNZ is offline Registered User

8 month constipation + skin tag

Hi all, my little one had and continues to have dreadful constipation.

Over the course of 2 hours this morning she has grunted and groaned and screamed and cried only to leave a trace of poop in her nappy but nothing actually comes out.

She is on Goats milk + pureed veges/fruit/rice cereal and eats like a horse. We try to feed her extra water.

She is growing (oversize at 78cm / weighs 9kg). I am concerned that she has so so much distress passing poop. My worry is that I have heard that kids can sometimes "hold it in" and since every time without fail pooping involves screams or crying I think about the long term effect.

I took her to the Doctor they gave us some murky brown liquid to feed each feed, this helped temporarily but as soon as we stopped feeding it to her same problem.

She is crawl/sliding and naturally kicks her legs continuously when lying down.

So I am at a loss, is there anything else we can do.

Also she has a skin tag near her anal opening and sometimes this gets swollen - I guess its from the pressure.

Does she have a real problem? Anyone else with this issue?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Hi, my 8 month old also gets constipated from time to time but not like yours - the poor thing.
    I think it makes a big difference the amount of fluid he`s getting. I`m almost certain he`s not getting enough of my milk during the day so I try to give him water as best as I can from a cup.
    Why is she on goat`s milk at such an early age? I wonder if anything is related to that?
    I also give my son prunes and papaya - they are natural diuretics - also kiwi I think. bananas and apples are binding, as is white rice. Is your daughter eating whole grain cereals? They tend to work to push out the poop since they are heavier than refined cereals.
    I also rub his tummy and kind of `push` along the poop inside to soften it up. don`t know if that helps but I do it anyway sometimes.
    Have no idea about the skin tag though, sorry.

carang is offline Registered User
    when you prepare the solids, why don't you add a spoonful of prune juice? that should help get things moving.

when i prepared solids for the first 3-4 months, i always mixed in a little prune juice to help the kids' systems along naturally.

Montreal is offline Registered User
    Did you ask the doctor about the skin tag? it may relate to her constipation?

Hi all

Thanks heaps for the replies, I will go and get some prune juice that might help.

We put her on goats milk due to allergies from my side, and advice provided advised it was the closest formula to breast milk.

I have given her some kiwi but not persisted with it so I will give that another go.

Thanks again!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Hi TeamNZ

How old is your LO? Around 8 months of age you can introduce ground seeds. I give a teaspoon of ground flax seeds to my 8 month old son in all his meals. And also try an oat porridge rather than rice cereal as oats are a good source of soluble fibre which help with constipation.

You can also try dried apricots, soak in a bowel with water overnight then steam/cook them on the stove till soft and puree. Add this to the oat porridge. If you can get the organic unsulphered dried apricots they are the best. They will look blackish in colour compared to the normal variety.

Hi Karmah 1

Thanks yes, I have gone away from Rice and moved to oats and grains, that combined with Prune Juice + weetbix for breakfast seems to be helping. She still doesnot seem to be happy passing motions but at least they are regular now!

Have sent you a PM