Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

reccomended sippy cups? or straw? not sure?

solidstars is offline Registered User

reccomended sippy cups? or straw? not sure?

hi, did a quick search on sippy cups here but seems most post are outdated...

i'm planning on introducing solids to my 5.5 months old baby soon, and thought in the process to give water in a sippy cup?

any moms out there recommend sippy cups for a baby who's mostly breastfed / used the breastflow bottle? how to ease the transition? I figured he'd be curious enough to stuff it into his mouth... **cross fingers**

on the older posts, some recommended the tommy tippee cup? any advice or suggestions much appreciated!!!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

I bought one with a sold spout which has a few holes in it and my son didn't like it. I then bought one which is softer plastic like the teat of the bottle which was much better but he still finds it hard to hold up to his mouth as he has to tip his head back to drink. The water does flow out alot quicker than a bottle so he did cough and splutter at first but he soon got used to it. I'm going to find one with a straw which hopefully will be easier for him to learn to drink by himself.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I think the best way is trial and error. I started out giving water in a regular bottle, then tried to switch to a sippy cup when I was introducing juice. My daughter couldn't figure them out - I think she didn't realise that it had to be raised for the water to flow out of it. After a couple of months of that not working, I tried a straw cup and that works wonderfully! I tried two different brands and I like the Tommy Tippy one better than the Nuby one. The Nuby one has some kind of valve and even I have trouble drinking from it!! The TT one is just a regular straw (but it's silicone up the top, soft for baby's mouth) but it's much easier for the water to go through. It does spill a little when she whacks it on the high chair - but it doesn't POUR out at least...

I bought two sippy cups and two straw cups and I currently only use one out of all of them. I think it's just whatever works for your baby... and I don't know how to know except for trial and error.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

Nicolejoy thanks! I will look out for the Tommy Tippy one with the regular straw.

i got the tommy tipee one for 6m+ this past weekend, haven't given it to him yet but so far as i can see ther'es no straw? but there's a spout thing with 3 holes in it... is that the one you mean?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I started out giving my son a regular cup of water. It was messy but he was still getting stuff in his mouth.
    Then I used an Avent sippy cup with a spout. He didn`t know how to use it since he didn`t know how to use a bottle either, but I just gave it to him all the time. Eventually he learned when he was really thirsty.
    Now, believe or not, at 8 months because of the sippy cup he has learned how to suck from a normal bottle (Avent again). I have a Combi straw cup that I will introduce to him soon. If they can learn how to suck a straw I think it will be easier in the long run since they don`t have to tilt the cup up, something that my son just doesn`t get. He thinks I`m trying to take away his cup and then gets upset:)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

This is similar to the kind that I have.

My one is slightly different... I like the TT one (as opposed to Nuby) because it doesn't have a valve in the straw and is easier for the baby to drink from.

this is the one that looks most like the one i got?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_i3UAFeNwEz...+tippy+cup.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast