Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Need Advice - Cats & Baby Co-exist

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My friend had a cat who got jealous of the baby or something and started becoming very hostile towards the baby. They had to get rid of the cat.

I think that's more of an issue than allergies. Keep an eye on the animal, try to prepare it as best you can for the baby coming home, and supervise the animal and baby together - that way you'll be able to see if there is that kind of problem.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    WE have 2 cats. there is hair around, but not big clumps so they never ate it, and we also have the roombp vaccum cleaner which is a robotic vaccum that you can set to go whenever you want and it does a good job of daily cleaning up cat hair and crumbs from the kids.

we have a mat under the litter box but some still makes it to the floor, but it is in the laundry room so it is pretty contained. When they were crawlers we gated the laundry room to keep them out of the litter and the water/food.

No issues with jealousy at all. We made sure to spray the cats with water if they jumped in the crib before baby was born, so they were used to not being allowed there, and I always shut the door and checked for cats hiding int he room when they were sleeping.

Once old enough to get to the tial pulling stage, one cat made sure to never ever go near the children, and the other would let them maul him, never scratch but meow for rescue.

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    So far (my baby is 4 months), my two cats do not show any signs of jealousy. One of them is so curious about the baby that it comes near to have a sniff/touch now and again, while the other one seems does not give any care. I used to play with them, cuddle them, brush their teeth, etc. but I must admit I don't spend much with them now since my baby is born due to the lack of time & energy. Hope jealousy will not grow in both of them.

ryxin is offline Registered User
    why not get out the cats outside? cats is not good for those have young kids, because it is not good for their health, when they get starts to crawl and they can breath the feather of the cats and the kids might get some disease.

carang is offline Registered User
    there is nothing wrong with having cats around kids. it is not true that they are bad for the health of children. i have heard it is better for children's immune systems to be around animals.

as for having the cats outside, i believe that would not be feasible for 95% of HK's population.

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    I strongly believe having cats/dogs around is good for the kids' immune systems and make them less likely to be allegic (except some very exceptional cases). And, the even more precious thing about having pets to grow up with kids is that it nurture the loving heart and kindess in the kids. They are taught to love and care for the small. I found most kids in HK are scared of (or even dislike) cats & dogs - they scream or refuse to get into the elevator when cats/dgos are around. It's all because their parents are also afraid of / hates cats/dogs...

cats are not bad for health. I and my siblings all grew up around cats our entire childhoods and no one ever got a disease from cat, my 2 children have never got sick from a cat I am curious as to what disease you think you would get from a cat? Having the cats ourside would mean the cat is much more likely to be unhealthy as it will pick up respiratory infections from other cats, or possibly rabiers, but I don't know if rabies is that common in Hk, and has a pretty high chance of being run over by a car.

I think it mught be cultural too. When my husband visited my family the first time and a cat jumped on him and purred, he thought the cat was going to attack him! He was scarred to death, now he loves cats.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast